What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hole above plug on this mills grenade

earni74

Premium Member
If i remember correctly this hole should have a brass screw in it, also i cannot remember the name for this type, can anyone help, thanks

Attachments

• 20231026_120549 - Copy.jpg
    20231026_120549 - Copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
If i remember correctly this hole should have a brass screw in it, also i cannot remember the name for this type, can anyone help, thanks
I have never seen a Mills with that hole before.

Not some attempt to make a lighter out of the grenade which was commonly done, usually the centre tube was the igniter part for the lighter, the top of the centre hole on the casing was cut to accommodate it. If you put the spring back it would come out the top as there is no shoulder on the casing to hold it.
The wick either a small piece of brass tube or some other form of wick that could be adjusted would usualy be where this hole is.
The cast body was usually sealed with some putty like compound in the filler plug and centre tube base to stop the lighter fuel leaking out. I have seen some mint condition grenades done this was, would take much to put them back. The only trouble with them is the compound to seal them, they are stuck fast, even heat or solvent doesn't budge it.

I reckon thats what they tried to do here, but didn't complete.