What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Guard weapon The Smith Gun & ammo

roller63

Premium Member
Hi again Guys, here are some pics of the Smith Gun and it's approved ammunition. Oficially known as the Ordnance Smooth Bore 3 inch or OSB. A weapon mostly issued to the Home Guard for anti tank and HE purposes, apparently also used for airfield defence in small numbers. If I remember rightly there was a Dads Army episode with one in, probably just a wooden prop though. Hope it is of some interest. Tony.
OSB_3_inch_Mk1_The_Smith_Gun.jpg

Hi Tony,

This is a Smith Gun cartridge from my collection. Is there any chance you could send me copies of the pictures you've posted?
Excellent post.

Quatermass
smith_gun_pic_2.jpg
smith_gun_pic_2.jpg

Hi Qm, Nice SG cartridge ! I do have one myself, but its a relic and has been dug up. It still has the thread in the top though. I would love a complete shell ! If you send me your e mail adress, I can send you hi-res scans, full size, from the files on my pc. I have an original manual for the weapon, but it runs into a good few pages and most of it is text.
I find that the pics I take myself fit on here ok, but the ones I scan in are too large and have to be edited, right click on image, go to edit pictures and select \"for website\" size, works ok for me. Tony.

Re:Home Guard weapon The Smith Gun & ammo

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the pictures, really excellent stuff.

If theres ever anything I can do for you don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again.

P.S. interesting to note that the markings on the cartridge would be hidden when fitted to the projectile.

Thought I would resurrect this post with a couple of pics of the Smith Gun in the Artillery Hall collection at Fort Nelson. Unfortunately the day I went was dark and wet, the worst weather for weeks, hope the pics look ok, Tony.

Attachments

• Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 012.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 012.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 117
  • Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 014.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 014.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 015.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 015.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 111
  • Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 016.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 016.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 013.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 013.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 104
Missed this first time around. On the cartridge case, the 'T' in the triangle shows that it was manufactured by Trianco. Trianco, were at the time an engineering company based in Imber Court, East Molesey, Surrey. Smith was their chief engineer and a prolific inventor of diverse articles. They, the company, patented one of the first oil fired 'combi' boilers in the early 50's. Company is now based in sheffield.

Regards

Tim. G.

Last edited:
Here are some photos I took on my trip over to England in 2005. The first is in the National Army Museum and the others are from a Storage building at Duxford.

Attachments

• 09nam.jpg
    09nam.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 10dux.jpg
    10dux.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 11dux.jpg
    11dux.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 12dux.jpg
    12dux.jpg