What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotchkiss ammunition

kz11gr

Hi

here

http://www.victorianshipmodels.com/antitorpedoboatguns/Hotchkiss/hotchkissammunit.html

========================

hotchkissbrassba.jpeg

History
37mm Naval
37mm Field Service
40mm Flanking gun
47mm Naval
53mm Naval
Ammunition
Tables
Gallery

===

Last edited:
An other good link with beautiful pictures of revolver guns

http://landships.activeboard.com/t43039340/37mm-hotchkiss-revolving-cannon-2-new-photographs/

=================================================

Dated Ammunition images though. This is the latest version of what has turned up. Not all mine of course. The secound image is hard to read at this size, I can email a better version if any member wants it. It is current as of this week -

No examples of canister M have been found oddly enough so I had to uses images of a 47mm.

It is unclear as to when these stopped being Hotchkiss (if ever, maybe Hotchkiss sold by SFM) and started being an SFM product.

The casings used are the 37x95 coiled case and the 37x95 drawn case, later drawn cases marked SFM appear. (I can use one or three of those does any one have some of these)

It is not known when or why the smooth copper band was used, though I suspect it is later, maybe SFM production. Was the ammunition for the Hotckiss Automatic Cannon different that that for the Revolving Cannon ? That might explain the copper versus brass. Copper banded projectiles are much much rarer than brass.

There is a rather curious ribbed copper banded version, the when and why or who for is unknown, also perhaps a late design.

For some of these types there are only single examples, though in all cases there must have been more.

If any one has something different than shown please contact me and it can be added.

Attachments

• HotchkissCopperBanded.jpg
    HotchkissCopperBanded.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 90
  • HotchkissBrassBand.jpg
    HotchkissBrassBand.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 95
  • HotchkissBrassBand.jpg
    HotchkissBrassBand.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 95
  • HotchkissBrassBand-2.jpg
    HotchkissBrassBand-2.jpg