What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How has ordnance collecting and availability changed over time?

DEADLINE222

Before I got into collecting inert ordnance, I accumulated a massive military firearms collection containg over 200 specimens dating from 1822 to current day.

Durring my collecting, I enjoyed reading about the availibility of military firearms; today vurses the past.

For example, there was a time when folks could walk into an everyday small town hardware store and walk out with a mint condition surplus rifle in which a few dollars were paid, vurses hundreds of dollars today's market.

I have seen images of mail order catalogues distributed by large national retail chains with the aforementioned included, also for a fraction of the cost in which examples would be paid for today.

You could visit a gun store or a gun show and there would be tables overflowing with a variety of old military rifles that no one wanted, with prices reflecting that disposition. I was lucky to start collecting early enough to experience the tail end of this; picking up dozens of my rifles for 1/3 of what they go for today.

I have been into ordnance for only several years, and I grow ill when I think of how many awesome pieces I passed on a weekly bases with my collecting radar completley focuses on rifles; since 1998.

I know I visited countless surplus stores looking for rifles. I remember seeing ordnance, and also paying no mind.

Assuming the history and/or market for inert ordnance was similar to that of surplus military firearms, what was it like being a inert ordnance collector back in the golden days?

40 years ago or 10; I would love to here some stories.

Last edited:
My life Deadline!!! How long`s a piece of string?
Some people stand at Reading Station in a raincoat for 8 hours recording ser nos of trains, some of us collect inanimate bits of brass & steel & everything related or just narrow down the field to carboard boxes!!
As a lad 40 years ago I was climbing over WW2 scrap yards & defunct firing butts!! Brens, SMLE`s, shell bodies, brass & spent bullets were all over the garden & my bedroom!!
Then I joined up! Now brass & bullets are in a state of dissarray/display in my pub!! I`m older & wiser but still fascinated (possesed according to wifey!!).
I`m an amatuer compared to some of the other members & I`m sure we all started in many different ways/reasons.
I think that the peaks & troughs of our line of interest may be related to what is happening at the time. Namely people (in particular kids) see battles on TV/movies therefore when they do find a case it makes what they know but don`t experience (thankfully) more real/tangible, then (same as me) when they realise the broad specrum of calibers/types & the weapons related to them, it is realised how diverse/interesting this field can be.
It`s ironic that the biggest advances in weapons, technology & medicine can be traced directly & indirectly back to conflict or the percieved need to have the upper hand.
This line can also easily go off on another tangent in as much as the contradiction that a government that wants to pursue military might/advantage (destroy life) can also spend so much in trying to preserve it (care of its wounded etc)??!!.
As to availability of items the UK has undergone many radical (knee jerk) law changes relating to the ownership of firearms & ammunition etc.
As I recall the USA experienced some big changes a decade plus ago+ but I believe those laws were allowed to lapse post 9/11?
As I said before the scope for this interest is huge & I think legislation & current affairs can affect the interest in such a `hobby`.

Had a simiular conversation like this with my father not to long ago,and he was telling me how easy it was to get items of ordnance when he collected it as a young boy.
All they had to do was to stand around waiting and sooner or later the good old Luftwaffe would chuck it out of their planes for free!

Ah the good old days!

Tony

Last edited:
Tony,
What a great post! LOL!
Interesting discussion. No doubt the "old timers" will talk about the "good old days", nobody realizes their in the "good old days" till they are past.
BKW

Tony,
What a great post! LOL!
Interesting discussion. No doubt the "old timers" will talk about the "good old days", nobody realizes their in the "good old days" till they are past.
BKW

Yes, it was even funnier at the time,you see my father is a ex copper (policeman) of the old school,you know the sort that whack you first then ask you what you were up to!,and his remark was intended as a grumpy dig at my collection/hobby(which he firmly believes is illegal and I should be locked up for a very long time for)
As you can imagin my reaction of rolling around the floor crying with laughter went down none to well!

Cheers
Tony

Last edited:
What a great thread. It gets you thinking.
I've only been collecting for 21 years so don't know about the old "golden days" but what I would say is:

There always seems to be far more out there than I can afford to buy - both financially and from the point of view on where to put it all.
There is something for everyone. Some of the rounds I have cost me may hundreds of pounds, others only a few pounds. My 13 year old son got into collecting shells about 3 years ago (thankfully!!) and has managed to build up a great collection of rounds for between 50pence and 10 each (with the occasional more expensive birthday/Christmas present from Dad).
I'd say we're still in the golden days in a lot of ways. The real house clearance bargains may not be out there as much but in these days of the internet communication is so much better between all of us collectors on a worldwide scale (BOCN for example!!). I may not buy much on line any more but contacts made on top of the off line contacts I already have has been invaluable, after all the really really good stuff is rarely available on the open market, its already been snapped up so its down to who you know.
For me the hobby is very much alive with some fantastic stuff out there to be swapped or bought.
Dave.