What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how much is brass going for now?

BOMBSaway1980

Ordnance approved
picked these up the other day we picked up about 13 of them here's four.

Drill 105mm the one crappy pic is of the ordnance stamp.

Attachments

• 0921091349a.jpg
    0921091349a.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 0921091349b.jpg
    0921091349b.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 82
first WWII vet call I've had were it was just a DDOT, the knee mortars, US 60mm and MKII hand grenades are 90% of the off post calls

Going to the connex with 90% of all the other PUKA's. What dosen't get snagged by unit members first.

first WWII vet call I've had were it was just a DDOT, the knee mortars, US 60mm and MKII hand grenades are 90% of the off post calls

Of all the ordnance that I've run over the years, 95% of it has been inert. Most of the stuff that is found in grandpa's basement, dad's trunk or bought at a flea market is empty as it was done before it was brought home.

The live stuff is few and far between and usually comes from water recoveries or the occasional "I picked it up on the range/I got it when I was hiking in the woods" call.

With all the WWII vets dieing off, It has been a busy season up here.

I get 2-3 calls/e-mails a week with the "What is it?" question and after id'ing the item, giving them the requirements for x-raying and getting them to send the x-ray to me, almost every single item is inert. The dirty little secret is that it's far easier to say that something is live and blow it up than it is to take the time to identify it and say it's inert.

I've had MIL EOD units call an item a MK II hand grenade only to have the civilian PD reach out to me with the photos showing me that it was a T13 Beano. I've had CIV Bomb Squads say and have published in the paper that a hand grenade was "live" because the pin was still in it. I even had one TSA "expert" claim that the reason they couldn't x-ray a grenade at the airport was because these types of items were painted with lead paint and that blocks the x-ray.

Ordnance will always be around so we will always have a job :tinysmile_fatgrin_t