What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Strip A German KZ 40 Fuze - Info Needed

Darren

I have two German KZ 40 fuzes, one fully strips and was like this when i purchased it, the other i cannot open up.

The one that i have that strips has two small holes drilled into it, perhaps this is where retaining pins were removed?

Photo 1 - Complete fuze (stripable)
Photo 2 - Shows the two holes on the underside of the rim
Photo 3 - shows the two holes clearly in the base part and the nose cone part

Photo 4 - Complete fuze (non stripable)
Photo 5 - Shows the underside of the rim (i cannot see any retaining pins here to drill out)

Does anyone know why these two holes were drilled out? were they to remove retaining pins or for another reason?
Has anyone disassembled one of these fuzes before? can anyone give me any advice/info on the best method of unscrewing the nose cone of my second fuze? I cannot see any retaining pins and do not want to go drilling holes for no reason.

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 22
There's no need to drill these holes in, no pins were there. My only guess is that someone wanted to get some oil into the thread (but if the thread is oxidized oil doesn't help a lot on aluminium)

The cap of this fuze was fixed in a lathe by displacing some aluminium by rolling the surrounding groove inside. That was a common way on german fuzes, sometimes also only some punch marks were enough...

Last edited:
There's no need to drill these holes in, no pins were there. My only guess is that someone wanted to get some oil into the thread (but if the thread is oxidized oil doesn't help a lot on aluminium)

The cap of this fuze was fixed in a lathe by displacing some aluminium by rolling the surrounding groove inside. That was a common way on german fuzes, sometimes also only some punch marks were enough...

Thanks Alpini for the information, I did think that any type of retaining pins would have been a bit over the top for a small fuze. The only other thought that I had was that perhaps someone drilled those holes to put some sort of home made tool into to hold the base while unscrewing the cap.

I guess to remove the caps/cones on these types of fuzes is just a matter of a good grip and luck. Perhaps I can make some sort of tool up to aid with the removal.

Darren