What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How were Mills Grenades bodies manufactured?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

Just curious how Mills Grenade bodies were made?

I have two specimens where one is a cast half, the other is a whole cast.........it would make sense to cast it as a whole rather than two halves to be joined.

If so, is the cast half shown in the photo therefore a factory souvenir?

On the other hand if they were cast as halves, the two examples would make a nice display for a grenade collector

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN5224.jpg
    DSCN5224.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN5225.jpg
    DSCN5225.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 81
I don't think they were cast in two seperate halves. Not sure why that's like that, maybe just cut into two.

Yes I agree with you on a single whole casting - perhaps the half body one was a factory souvenir - cut in half for an ashtray?

Maybe it was a factory reject and the "bad" half cut off..............

I had plans years ago to use them to produce casts for making lead weights for scuba diving....would look cool wearing a weight belt full of "grenades" - anti-shark protection! (LOL)

Cheers
Drew

Maybe its the pattern that was used to make the sand mould for casting the complete gren. dave has a pair joined together here, scroll to the bottom of the page
http://www.millsgrenades.co.uk/mills_grenade_accessories1.htm
A quick explanation of how they were cast is as follows,
A pair of gren halves like daves would be placed on a flat surface and a metal box with no top of bottom would be placed on them. then, damp casting sand would be poured into the box and tamped down.
the box can then be picked up and turned over and the gren halves removed to leave a crisp mould. this was repeated for the other half of the gren and when aligned would make the complete mould. a small lemon shaped sand core would be supported inside the mould and a pouring hole would be formed usually on the side of the gren. The molten iron was poured in and left to cool. when the iron is solid the sand can easily be broken up and the grens removed. the sand that formed the core would simply pour out to leave a nice hollow casting. the grens would then be cleaned up de-burred and have the threads put in etc etc.
cheers, paul.

Hi Paul,

Great stuff - very informative!

May even try to make that scuba diving mould now!

Cheers
Drew

Hi all, this is my first post but I just had to reply as it brought memories flooding back!

Way back in the 70's when I first left school, I started work in a foundry and as Paul described that is exactly how they were made. I was only involved in non-ferrious castings but the principle is identical for any casting. We used to make our own belt buckles, ashtrays and wot-not out of anything we could find INCLUDING aluminium grenades....... and I remember casting one in solid gunmetal and no I didn't keep it unfortunately :tinysmile_cry_t:

Hi all, this is my first post but I just had to reply as it brought memories flooding back!

Way back in the 70's when I first left school, I started work in a foundry and as Paul described that is exactly how they were made. I was only involved in non-ferrious castings but the principle is identical for any casting. We used to make our own belt buckles, ashtrays and wot-not out of anything we could find INCLUDING aluminium grenades....... and I remember casting one in solid gunmetal and no I didn't keep it unfortunately :tinysmile_cry_t:

These would not be your creations would thy ???? Dave.

HPIM6948.jpg HPIM6949.jpg http://www.millsgrenades.co.uk/images/No36 Mk1 Grenades/36m solid jp&s.jpg

No, they would have been a better quality casting, we would have blown the dust out! :wink:

Hi Cliff,

What would be a 'good' homemade mixture for casting sand? Read somewhere clay + sand???

As I was only intending to use lead I original thought "plaster of paris" was perhaps sufficient to make the mould....only had to hold up for perhaps 6-10 runs

Might just be a case of "suck it & see"

Thanks
Cheers
Drew