What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would a newly manufactured 90mm M71 appear in 1957?

DEADLINE222

I have read that the 90mm M71 could have had either TNT, Composition B or Amatol/TNT fillers.

I have also read of supplementary charge usage as well, and although I question the authenticity of the paint job, I have seen a projectile labeled as such.

Can anyone provide a definite explination, or provide an image of a vintage 1957 (or later) projectile?

***I would like to reserve the common 90G, TNT, SHELL M71 nomernclature for a vintage World War 2 specimen.***

Last edited:
This should do the trick drawing is from 1944
not much changed since then up till the 60s
other than the body color being yellow in the earlier round and OD later

75-1-184-1.jpg

Photo posted before by someone.

Attachments

• PICT1293.jpg
    PICT1293.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 60
They are bare metal. The U.S. Left them bare on many of their rounds before they gained the knowledge of paint versus rifling/bore clearance.

Regarding the image that Ordman kindly provided, there is what appears to be a cross on the upper part of the ogive, just under the fuze.

Is this a weight zone marking?

Call me silly for asking, but is this marking to scale?

Weight zones are marked with a center punch mark for each zone, near the fuzewell on the ogive. The punch marks are stamped into the steel in a horizontal line perpendicular to the axis of the projectile. When the projectile is painted, a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square is painted at each center punch mark, with the mark in the middle of the square. For an OD painted projectile body, the squares would be yellow. For a yellow projectile body, the squares would be black.

You can see the squares on the photo I attached.

**Opps. Hazord, I did not see your post; I hope you have not already answered my question.***

Awesome.

However, I am wondering if the later version of the M71 (with the supplementary charge) would have had the cross (like that found on the 75mm M48) for the weight zone, rather than the two squares?

For all of those who wish to use it, here is the graphic I produced using Ordman's initial drawing:

M71.JPG

Last edited:
The weight zone markings are not associated with the markings for supplementary charge. The weight zone markings are put on by hand over the center punch marks I mentioned above with a 1/2 inch square rubber stamp. They are not part of the stencil for the projo.

TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammo dated 1950 is very clear about it and has a graphic of the 90mm M71 round with all the markings for projo and case.