What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howitzer Shell Identification...

Autolite

Good day. I would like to ask if you would be able to help me identify or confirm the manufacturer, date of manufacture and purpose of this artillery shell. As far as I know, the shell was found in Canada and it was QF ammunition for the British 4.5 inch Howitzer field guns used in the first and second world wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_4.5_inch_Howitzer

The shell is currently inert. The case is empty, there is no fuse well in the nose cone and there is a 'dummy' brass plug in the base plate fuse well. IIRC, the "V" stamp on the base plate indicates 'high explosive' but I am unable to decipher any of the other stamps or markings.

I have been making some guesses and assumptions reference certain markings as follows:

B.S. Co ---------------- Bethlehem Steel Company (U.S.A.)

7.25 ---------------- July 1925

16 ---------------- Mk 16 "Shell, High Explosive"

DX ---------------- type of steel case???

FS ---------------- forced steel

E506 ---------------- ????

Any help, or suggested resources, that you might have to offer would be most sincerely appreciated. Many thanks...

Brian G.
pintoguy@telus.net

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 82
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 80
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 41
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 35
The FS is for Forged Steel. The other options would be CS for Cast Steel or BS for bored from the bar steel.

Last edited:
Try this-

B.S. Co ---------------- Bethlehem Steel Company (U.S.A.)

7.25 ---------------- July 1925

16 ---------------- Mk 16 "Shell, High Explosive"

DX ---------------- type of steel case???

Bethlehem Steel Co, 25th July 1916 , DX is likely initials for an inspector.

Bethlehem Steel Co, 25th July 1916 , DX is likely initials for an inspector.

Thanks for all the help. It is most appreciated.

A friend of mine suggested that the "7.25 16" was indeed "25th July 1916". I was skeptical. I found it hard to believe that the manufacturer would change the date stamp daily!

The "DX" would be the 'inspector's code' (rather than initials) would it not?

Also, what about the "E506" designation? Could that be the 'lot number'?

I would also like to ask where I might start to look in order to find the brass cartridge case for this round. It would be a "117 x 86R".

Again, many thanks...

The Canadian made cases for this calibre have the full date as well.

They were made by Montreal Ammunition Company, and used the manufacturer's mark "M.A.C.".

It was suggested that the 'DX' would be the inspector's stamp. I would understand if the stamp appeared only once on the case, but it also appears on the base of the round.

Why would it be necessary for the inspector to stamp the round twice? Could any one explain this???

Feature inspection.

It was suggested that the 'DX' would be the inspector's stamp. I would understand if the stamp appeared only once on the case, but it also appears on the base of the round.

Why would it be necessary for the inspector to stamp the round twice? Could any one explain this???

I have seen each "feature" on certain experimental items marked with the same inspectors stamp to prove he/she has in fact inspected and approved each detail-this may explain the multiple markings, whilst it is unusual to find a repeated stamp on a piece of service munition it is not exceptional.