What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.D Needed

SHAKY

Just picked this up today. I cant make heads or tails of this thing. 5 vanes although one is missing. Only markings I could find on this are 77-F in image 1 and a C brroad arrow on the "nose" fuse lookin thing on image 3. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I really dont have much of an idea on this other than I was told its an air dropped bomb from the first world war.olympus500 255.jpgolympus500 256.jpgolympus500 257.jpg

It is a 25lb Cooper bomb, but it looks like someone has replaced the wooden/sheet metal tail fin section with a projectile fuze. Used in WWI by the UK and also manufactured in the US for their use. You should be able to search the forum for cooper.

I also was thinking that the tail fins had been replaced with the projo fuse. Im guessing it might be hard to locate a proper replacement? Regardless, its a start. Well appreciated info as I was a little stumped on this one.

In this case it would be worth making the missing parts or have another member who has a complete one do this for you. Finding the original tail I think to complete this will be too difficult. Painted in that mustardy colour I think they were and it would look great.

Great idea to make up or have one made and repaint. I searched and saw the nice yellow one. Is a little rare I'd guess to find this much of one? Would love some more restoration ideas.

Hello! Here's the complete bomb! Greetings Harry

Attachments

• Cooper-1.jpg
    Cooper-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Cooper-2.jpg
    Cooper-2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Cooper-4.jpg
    Cooper-4.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 26
  • MK III Nose fuze.jpg
    MK III Nose fuze.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 27
  • RAFBombsDSCN1358.jpg
    RAFBombsDSCN1358.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 23
  • RAFBombsDSCN1359.jpg
    RAFBombsDSCN1359.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 24
Thanks much for the photos. For some reason im thinking this may be the U.S. version? Not quite sure how to tell except something with the holes in the vanes for the arming wire? I see that the colours vary between the examples I've seen so far. Just getting ideas for the restoration. It also looks to me that theres a steel threaded collar to attach the wooden tail body with the metal fins? If anyone has drawings or some dimensions it would be greatly appreciated.

Here the English type

Attachments

• Splitterbombe H.E.F. 20 Lb MK I.jpg
    Splitterbombe H.E.F. 20 Lb MK I.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
Thanks again. Could you tell me what the inside of yours looks like? Mine is open since the tail is missing and i have the long cylindical charge as in the drawing. Makes me think Hmmm. Well its been chromed too! any thoughts?