What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.D. on this shell, please.

Hallams

I have recently turned up an unfired (inert) shell at a local antique fair and would like to know what it is.
It is similar to the Hotchkiss HV with brass bands referred to in the Sticky post above. It is all steel with brass bands and threaded for a base fuze.
It weighs 2lb 3 1/2oz. It is 5 1/8" tall and 1 13/16" dia. The brass bands are 1 1/8" up from the base and extend to 1 3/4". There are six raised sections.
At the top of the brass bands there is a small anchor mark. On the side of the shell near to the base and on the base there are marks which are difficult to make out but look like a triange with a small square set into one side. The base is also marked with a capital letter 'K'
There is a groove around the shell, about 1/2" up from the base. The shell is stepped in at the base.
I am sorry that I have no means of posting any pictures but any information would be greatly appreciated.
Dave.

It sounds like you have a 47mm Japanese Hotchkiss projectile there.

I believe these were made on Contract by Kynoch in the UK and never reached Japan. I presume they were sold off are scrapped as they are quite common even today.

Does this look like your shell?

makethumb.php

Hi Falcon,
My shell is identical to your pic. I was wondering if the 'K' could be for Kynoch. Now, can I find a case for it?
Your help is much appreciated. Many thanks.
Regards, Dave.

The cases are around, but you usually see complete rounds for rather than just cases. Somone on here may have a spare for sale if you put a message in the wanted section.