What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.D. sought

FNG61

Hello. Believe this sectioned grenade body to be NVA. Could anybody confirm? Also, what is the ignition system? Thankyou.

Attachments

• DSCF7572.JPG
    DSCF7572.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF7573.JPG
    DSCF7573.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF7574.JPG
    DSCF7574.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 34
Hello bolo

HELLO
I HAVE ONE OF THESE AND I NO PAUL SPENCE HAS ONE ALSO WE TALK ABOUT THEM A FEW YEARS BACK.I BOUGHT MINE ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO FROM A WW2 VET,HE SAID IT WAS USED BY THE JAPS AND WAS PICKED UP ON ONE OF THE PACIFIC ISLANDS,I THINK HE SAID GUAM,BUT MY MEMMORRY IS NOT GOOD FROM THAT TIME ERE.IT WOULD MAKE SENCE THE NVA MIGHT HAVE SOME,YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THE JAPS TAUGHT THEM HOW TO DIG ALL THOSE TUNNELS.HOPE THAT HELPS,I HAVE NO WRITEN PROFF.BUT I HAVE TO BELEIVE THE WW2 VET,MY DAD FOUGHT THE JAPS ALSO,ONE OF HIS JOBS WAS TO SHOT THE CAVES CLOSED ON SOME OF THE ISLANDS,TRAPING THE JAPS INSIDE, WITH A 5" 38 FROM ABOUT A MILE AWAY FOR THE MARINES.I BELEIVE IN WAS MOUNTED ON A STICK LIKE THERE LITTLE STICK GRENADE,THE VC ALSO COPYED THEM TO,AND WAS SET OFF THE SAME WAY WITH A FRICTION FUSE.
VINNY:tinysmile_classes_t

Viney,

I agree that it is one of the VC grenades used by the PAVN and VC. This one was also used by the North Korean Militay service and supplied to NVA/VC. It uses a "Striker Release" instead of the pull string igniter(Friction fuse).

I also believe that it was the french who intruduced the tunneling system.

The facts were provided by a book entitled "Weapons and Field Gear of the North Vietnames Army and Viet Cong" By Edward J. Emering

Also, I believe that the tunneling was learned from the French back in the early 50's.

Mark

I used to have one, it was also ID'd as NVA. I've never seen anything of Japanese origin that looked similar.

You have to understand that these grenades made by N. Korea, and the ones made in the field factories, can be totally unreliable. Now grenades by the USSR, and China would be more unlikely to malfunction. This is because of the better quality quality of control and in buildings where they could be massed produced in humidity controlled enviroment. Tropical heat was also the reason for malfunctions on the NVA/VC field grenades. There was no where the could go to escape the high humidity. Now our grenades are sealed tightly to be waterproof. But back then there was a 1 in 250000 that our grenades would malfunctioned too. Most likely an immediate detonation in the event that the Bouchon igniter was released, and exploded near your hand. The other major malfunction of our grenades was "Low Order" explosions.

Also, by the way, the VC used their explosives from recovered bombs that failed to function when the hit the ground. They did this also to submunitions as well for all of their explosive needs. More dangerous than us trying to undue a BDU/CBU ourselves.:tinysmile_grin_t:
Now tell me which of the grenades use in Vietnam was the most powerful?

Mark

Last edited:
JO, good answer!

I hope Paul can find the image of a fuzed example of this grenade. I have two of them, both slightly different sizes. Frankly, I've always been suspicious that they aren't grenades at all but parts to a food grinder or processor of some type. Or some other mechanical device unrelated to ordnance. There just seems to be too many holes and internal baffles that would make manufacturing difficult, reduce explosive volume, and inhibit its use as a grenade. Not to mention no way to easily install a fuze. Anybody else ever consider these factors? Of course, any collector with WWI grenades in their collections understands that perfectly designed grenades weren't exactly the norm and stupid designs were plentiful. Perhaps the VC were just bad grenade designers too but most of their models were pretty simple and efficient, even if poorly constructed.

I'd love to be proven wrong and have two cool grenades in the collection instead of a window sash weight or grain grinder roller.

Thanks v40

THANKS V40 FOR THE TUNNLE LESSON,I HAVE NEVER READ ABOUT IT BUT HEARD THAT ABOUT THE JAPS.ON THE GRENADE,ALL I CAN SAY IS THATS WHAT THE VET SAID,WHEN I BOUGHT IT.I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS VC.
I DO HAVE A NEAT LITTLE LANTERN FROM CHU CHI,THE WICK ASSY IS MADE FROM A U.S. 223,VERY INGENIUS LITTLE GUYS.:tinysmile_classes_t
VINNY

Thanks for all the feedback and information. Figured this club was a good place to ask. The people at my bible study group were no help at all. Like to see a schematic, there must be some reason for the complicated interior design of this item.

You'll find anything you want by the book I gatherd the info from.

Wish I had a scanner so I could post pictures on that grenade. So everybody could trust me.

Viineyw, Do you collect anything from the Vietnam War?:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

What have you got (from VN) Mark? Show us something nice - we'll drag this forum back from the stone age into modern ordnance.