What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would love to find an original of these - transportation box

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I would love to find an original of these - transportation box for 24 x SD2's, however till then I will have to satisfy myself with a bit of DIY.

So here are some photos of the box I have made. I have constructed it, using old photos as a guide - as unfortunately I dont have any accurate dimensions to work to. Although not 100% accurate in many areas, it gives a good idea of what a box would look like. Although, as with many items there are variations to the basic design.

I have attatched the original photos to ones I have taken so you can compare the two. I hope you like the pictures and would appreciate any feedback.

The box is missing its securing fastners, but fingers crossed on that one.

kind regards Kev

box 1.jpgbox 2.jpgbox 3.jpg

Hi Kev,
That looks great, I think you have done a really good job considering no original to copy or accurate measurments. Just need to fill it now :)
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Kev,
That looks great, I think you have done a really good job considering no original to copy or accurate measurments. Just need to fill it now :)
Best regards Weasel.

Thanks Weasel
...as far as filling it goes, now that would be nice :tinysmile_hmm_t:
.......... and very expensive !!!!!!!!!!!

regards Kev

Sure looks like the real thing, i think one of our members here has a original one of those boxes i can remember seeing one once in a collection........ Dave

Nice work Kev. :)

I did have an old wooden box that i only recently slung away but the latches were already missing,so dont despair!

cheers

waff

Sure looks like the real thing, i think one of our members here has a original one of those boxes i can remember seeing one once in a collection........ Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comments.
Regarding the box the only one I know of, is in Bens collection at the Liberty Park museum, Overloon, Holland.

So, fingers crossed there may be others out there too!!!

kind regards Kev

Nice work Kev. :)

I did have an old wooden box that i only recently slung away but the latches were already missing,so dont despair!

cheers

waff

Thanks waff,
now that would just be my luck for someone to have just got rid of just what I'm looking for. (thankfully not in this case). But how many times has someone ever said to you..... 'oh, you should have been here last week', or 'if only I had known, I wouldnt have got rid of them' - thats collecting for you, LOL !!!

regards Kev

Nice box Kev, you've put a lot of hard work into that one!
When I find 2 I'll let you know:neutral:
Dave.

Yes,i have a couple of photo's somewhere of that epic visit to Bens last year. Mebbe there are close ups? will have a search. :)

best

waff

Kev, i am in Norway, i Will be back on the 23 , please send me your address with a PM, i Will send you the box,.......when you are ready, just send it back to me, is this ok for you? Regards Ben

Well I finally managed to obtain some fastners for the box that I made, so thought I would post some pictures of the finished item.
May I take the opportunity to extend my thanks to all who helped in my quest, much appreciated!!

Having completed the box I can see one or two errors in its construction, but it gives a basic idea of what a transportation box would look like. However most of all and perhaps most important - I enjoyed making it!!!
Comments welcome.

HPIM8576.jpgHPIM8578.jpg

....and here is a coupld of photographs for comparison. The one on the left comes from an offical WW2 manual and the one on the right is my interpretation (though I chose to put on an alternative rope handle - different handles appear to have been used, not sure if this was commonplace in ammunition boxes in general??)

HPIM8579.jpgHPIM8592 - Copy.jpg

Kind regards Kev

Cheers Dave......I like getting stuck into a project like this, its amazing what you learn about something with a little 'hands on'

Still on the lookout for an original though!!! hint hint to anyone with a spare!!!

regards Kev