What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IAA conversation about .450 ACP manufactured in Australia.

MissingSomething

Here is a link to the thread:

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12540

Aussie-1_Web.JPG

I thought I'd add that I obtained 2 boxes of the Australian .45 ACP ammunition earlier this year. Here are some photos. It's interesting that this ammo was apparently produced in both FMJ and lead round nose versions. Mine have 1943 and 1944 headstamps.

Aussie-2_Web.JPG
Aussie_Headstamps.JPG

The cartridges in both boxes do not show any evidence of being reloaded. All have the dark purple primer seal. It is my opinion that they were manufactured with lead bullets.

The jist of the conversation is whether the Australians loaded lead bullets during war time.

Its an interesting conversation and I was wanting to know if anyone here has any input.

I have not added to the discussion on the IAA site but I am convinced that these are not original Australian factory production at Footscray.

For one thing they are not mentioned in the David Mayne's history of Australian miitary ammunition produced in 2004 by Australian Defence Industries, plus it is well known that Footscray sold primed components for loading by others, typically for use by local Australian gun clubs.

Also, I have been collecting British and Commonwealth ammo for over fifty years and have never come across these rounds before. That in itself may not mean much, but neither have any other experienced and knowledgeable collectors seen them either. If they were factory production I think one of us would have come across them before.

The most likely explanation is that these started as new primed empties and were loaded with the lead bullets either locally in Australia or in the US.

Regards
TonyE