What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ice mine

doctor

Hi
Ice mine in concrete bloc to install on wooden picket Anti dropping zone
HE composition like donarite
any info please

Attachments

• ice-1.jpg
    ice-1.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 95
  • ice-2.jpg
    ice-2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 81
Hi the original ice mines consisted of a thick glass bottle similar to the quart milk bottles containing approx 3.5 to 4lbs of explosive .
this mine could be used with varous igniters a zz42 or electric detonator was common , i have one from Jersey that has that combination.
I can find no record of this particular mine , other than the normal stock mine , it maybe that it was locally produced , there were several pipe mines used in Guernsey consisting of clay or earthenware pipes filled with explosive.

Source used Illustrated Record of German Army Equipment 1939 - 1945 Vol 5 Mines and Mine detectors

Icemine (Flaschen-Eismine) with pressure igniter

Cheers

engineer

Attachments

• Fl.Ei.Mi. 1a.JPG
    Fl.Ei.Mi. 1a.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Fl.Ei.Mi. 1c.jpg
    Fl.Ei.Mi. 1c.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 63
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Flascheneismine42-1.jpg
    Flascheneismine42-1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Flaschenmine  42.jpg
    Flaschenmine 42.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 71
icemine

Thanks to all
I've found three in swamp zone near the beach
I think it was fixing on trees or wood picket
Old people tell me they were used for anti paratroops

The original use was for use in Russia to blow gaps in ice bound rivers to form water obstacles , in October 1944 these mines appeared in North West Europe in improvised anti personnel and anti tank mines .by encasing them in a weak cement they were used as Anti Personnel mines
Source Illustrated Record of German army Equipment 1939 - 1945 Vol 5

In Guernsey the mines used for Anti Landing Large poles were stuck into the ground with wires attached to buried 27cm french shells and a simple igniter like the ZZ35 or ZZ42 was placed instead of the nose fuze on the shell

Last edited by a moderator:
yes : the bottle is inside the concrete (it isn't my picture).

It is on lexpev's site

Attachments

• eisminebeton.jpg
    eisminebeton.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: