What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID 81mm (mortar) Indonesia (Former Dutch ?)

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Found in Idonesia.
Could it be a projectile from former Dutch Indonesian Army (NIL) ?

81mm.jpg81m.jpg

Found in Idonesia.
Could it be a projectile from former Dutch Indonesian Army (NIL) ?

View attachment 190326View attachment 190327
"Dutch Indonesian Army" is confusing and is not a term that will be welcomed either in Indonesia or in the Netherlands. Its proper name was Koninklijk Nederlands-Indisch Leger - it needs the hyphen because "Nederlands" refers to Indisch and not to Leger. In spoken language this was invariably abbreviated as "KNIL". This is pronounced as it is written, with a distinct "K" sound. There was nothing denigrating about the word KNIL and a soldier might easily say; "Nee, ik ben korporaal in het KNIL." ("No, I am a corporal in the KNIL.") Usually, the best translation is "Royal Dutch East-Indies Army", in which "Dutch" refers to East-Indies and not to Army.

When translating these terms you always run into possible confusion with British India, and if you use "Indonesian" you definitely create confusion with the later and independent state of Indonesia. Until after WW2, in the Netherlands the Dutch East Indies were referred to in non-official language as "Oost-Indië", "Indië", or even more informally as "De Oost". Officially and formally, they were referred to as "Nederlands Indië".

Sorry if I was indelicate, not voluntary, I only have a knowledge thanks to rare informations, for example this post :