What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID ammo container

Kronieker

Last Sunday I stumbled upon a large ammo container in the woods near Nijmegen in an area that durin WW2 was only a few kilometres behind the front for half a year (Sept 44 - Febr 45) and was used as a build up area for Operation Veritable (Reichswald battle) I presume that the container is British or Canadian. Any help identifying this container is appreciated.

ammocontainer1.jpg

ammocontainer2.jpg

ammocontainer1.jpg

I can only say about what I have seen from the 1980s but similar containers of this type in that decade were used for 76mm armoured car ammunition, whereas the 25 Pr propelling cartridges were contained in more conventional boxes with hinged lids, the base of each cart case uppermost in the box.

Is there any surviving markings still visible? I know its rusted but you might be lucky. Probably a C. followed by 3 numbers. It definitely looks British. The C375 holds 2 charges and looks just like yours.

Last edited:
I have a few of these boxes in my collection and they carry four 6 pdr rounds.There was also a box that carried 6 rounds, both airtight containers.A friend of mine has a few similar cases that carry two 17 pounder rounds but won't part with any ;~(

Rob............rnixartillery.

Last edited: