What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID and info please....

westyork123

Hey got two cart cases which everybody at work seems to be struggling to explain!:tinysmile_cry_t2:

Sadly I can not get photographs of these items.
The cases in question are brass, 85mm high with a mouth of 30mm.
The case has no head stamps but marking on the rim read: RA2 / 2957 these are the only markings on the case.

Main question, is this an aircraft round? And why is it shorter than the average 30mm round?

Any help or other info please..

Regards, Matt

30mm

You give us very little information to go on. However, if the case is straight sided and belted then you probably have 30 x 86B Aden Low Velocity cases.

A picture would help of course, but the round is pictured here on Tony William's site.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/tankammo4.htm

Scroll about halfway down the page to "Postwar aircraft gun ammunition"

Regards
TonyE

Yes, As Tony says, they probably are 30mm low velocity Aden cartridges. Does anyone know what the RA2 / 2957 stands for?
Hangarman

Evening,

Just checked out Tony William's site and thats the case, cheers for that! Sorry there was no images.. .....the cases are at work and no photographs allowed!

Thanks to you all, Matt

Markings

Are you sure it is "RA" and not "RG" as I would expect it to be? Also is the "957" part of "1957"?

Just suggestions!

Regards
TonyE

Hey, nar it deffently RA2 / 2957, had chalk on it. Ill try and get pictures tommorow depending on work...

thanks for your timeTonyE

Matt

Are you sure it is "RA" and not "RG" as I would expect it to be? Also is the "957" part of "1957"?

Just suggestions!

Regards
TonyE

Nice case westyork123.
Tony I have an LV Aden case with exactly the same stampings on it, am also struggling to work out the meaning of the stampings.
Dave.

Hey, nar it deffently RA2 / 2957, had chalk on it. Ill try and get pictures tommorow depending on work...

thanks for your timeTonyE

Matt

Seen the fact that Norway used the Aden-gun, it's quite possible that the 'RA2' part stands for Raufoss Ammunition. If it indeed is a Raufoss cartridge, the '29' stands for the lotnumber and the '57' for the year of manufacturing.

The bouncing bomb (upkeep mine) recovered by the Germans Had RA2/1832 stencilled on the end so may be its to do with being experimental ?
Hangarman