What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID assistance for 37mm Bofors

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I don't have much info on the small stuff, and this round has me wondering.

I found the first round in the collection of a local collector. Noting that the round was unfired I convinced him to give it up, at least till I get a proper ID. I pulled the projo and dumped the powder, but since was his round I'd like to be certain of the ID of the projo and particularly the fuze (?) before I decide to pass it on for destruction.

Not long after receiving this I found several more at a surplus store, which appear to have had the case carefully cut off at the neck and then pressed around the base of the projo/fuze. These potentially may be a bigger deal, as they are for sale to the general public. Any info/documentation would be welcome.

DSCN5044.JPGDSCN5045.JPGDSCN5046.JPGDSCN5048.jpgDSCN5049.JPG

The propellant is actually pretty interesting as well.

DSCN5052.jpg

This may be hard to believe but this round looks like ones that were imported legally into the US back in the 1950's and sold by Service Armament Company (S.A. Co.) along with complete functioning "Boffors" Anti-Tank guns. In the 1961 catalog, page 84, the guns were for sale at $300 each.

They offered original loaded AP rounds for $3.50 each or $3.00 each if bought in quantity, HE rounds (Tetrel filling) for $3.50 each or $3.00 each if bought in quantity and APHE rounds.

Inert AP rounds (if I read it right) were available for $3.50 each.

All I have is an old photocopy from many years ago. See attached photo of same.

Brian

Attachments

• SACo.jpg
    SACo.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
This may be hard to believe but these rounds look like ones that were imported legally into the US back in the 1950's and sold by Service Armament Company (S.A. Co.) along with complete functioning "Boffors" Anti-Tank guns. In the 1961 catalog, page 84, the guns were for sale at $300 each.

They offered original loaded AP rounds for $3.50 each or $3.00 each if bought in quantity, HE rounds (Tetrel filling) for $3.50 each or $3.00 each if bought in quantity and APHE rounds.

Inert AP rounds (if I read it right) were available for $3.50 each.

All I have is an old photocopy from many years ago. See attached photo of same.

Brian
The good old days in the US when an all matching K98k could be bought mail order for $12.00.

On case head I see at 12 o'clock MB below crown. That is Finnish case maker; Kellokoski Works. Primer is not Finnish.
Powder bag markings are Swedish.
Some Finnish projectiles are similar to Swedish but painted markings are slightly different.

It seems likely then that I have one of the live rounds and the surplus dealer most probably has inert samples. The cut cases molded around the base look too good and consistent to be something you would normally find done by a local guy on his own. Thanks to all for the assist.

Tmine, how does a crown apply to Finland?

EOD, I wonder the same thing. However crown appears in logos of some other Finnish companies as well. I assume it must be from history as normally all such companies are very old, founded sometimes in 19th century when Finland belonged to Russian Empire.

Anyway the mentioned company made several types of artillery cases from 37 to 76mm and they are pretty easy to find here. Further the same logo appears in tools, axes etc.
Also the other stamp P with number appears especially in cases with this logo.

Information I have on Swedish made artillery case headstamps lists the crown over MB as being Ammunitionsfabriken Marieberg, Stockholm, Sweden.

:nerd:?????????

P23 = Parti 23 = Lot number 23

Brian

Last edited:
Very interesting, then there has to be the same marking in both countries. Swedish maker in this case makes more sense as during WW2 I don't think Finland had capacity to export brass cases to Sweden - they rather were needed here.

Interesting looking projectiles.Not common to see these with detonators and tracer elements.

Here is my collection,black one is swedish made.Others are finnish.

The one without color is factory OY Ammus made preproduction example.
boforssit.jpg

Hi jeff, here some information, only problem is that it is in Swedish.

Attachments

• m39.jpg
    m39.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 73
  • m34.jpg
    m34.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 61
On case head I see at 12 o'clock MB below crown. That is Finnish case maker; Kellokoski Works. Primer is not Finnish.
Powder bag markings are Swedish.
Some Finnish projectiles are similar to Swedish but painted markings are slightly different.

Finnish National Archive have information and there MB means: Mariefors Bruk AB

kuva.jpgkuva2.jpg

Last edited:
So, this explains MB in Finnish logo. In Finnish Army ordnance supplier list they mention only the Finnish name Kellokosken Tehtaat = Kellokoski Works. In Finland we have 2 official languages; Finnish and Swedish and many companies as well as places have both Finnish and Swedish name.

MB in Sweden obviously is still another company.