What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID by fragments

al'saad

Ordnance approved
I was tasked to try to make an ID of unknown explosive device by fragments and explosives residue.
On several fragments there is some kind of lettering directing my investigation towards HAND something or HAND ACTuated something. Letters are aprox 4mm high.
Metal fragments are made of is aluminum tin about 1mm thick.
Explosives residues indicate TNT and PETN or some kind of composition like pentholyte.
Colors of fragments on photos are quite according to sample.
Any indication would be helpful.

Attachments

• frag2.jpg
    frag2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 75
  • frag1.jpg
    frag1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 67
  • frag3.jpg
    frag3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 68
  • frag4.jpg
    frag4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 60
  • frag5.jpg
    frag5.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
ID fragments

Hi Al'Saad, I looked on your post and your pics yesterday and I am thinking on your question.
Pentholit is a mix of pentrite and TNT. A detonation can separate the residus of the two components. It's probably therefor that you have markings of the three explosives : pentrite, TNT and pentolite.
Now for your fragments, I can't find on your fragments traces of burning or very poor traces. For me that should will say that your fragments were not immediatly in contact with the explosive filling. If I was on your place, I should look in the direction of a rifle grenade like M60. It's possible you are in presence of the fragments of the tail of a projectile.

Good luck

Daniel

The "AKT" portion could be a lot number.
On the edge of a few of the pieces, the edges appear to have been rolled/formed- they may have come from a seam of some sort.
The PETN/TNT mix is pretty much gone from current issue ordnance, but it was used in HEAT munitions of all kinds during WW2.
The hollow standoff dome from a HEAT rifle grenade, maybe?

Al'Saad,

It could be the thin sheet metal covering from an air-to-air, or ground-to-air missile warhead or near the warhead.

as i figured out it fragments could be from some kind of container for some explosive item because any of explosive ordnance used around here that i came in touch with have much thicker jacket, even on tail sections or so.
also according to letters i can say that these fragments are not from any standard ordnance issue from ex Yugoslavia.