What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id casing

Whilst cleaning my basement I came across this casing. the headstamp reads WESTERN 1918. The casing is 60mm in height and projectile opening app 9mm. Anyone know of this one...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 188.jpg
    Picture 188.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 24
Odd

I need a picture to help ID that, as the description fits nothing I can think of.

I would expect to find that headstamp on various rounds, none of which fit. They are .30-06 (7.62 x 63mm), 7.62 x 54R Russian and 8 x 50R Lebel.

Regards
TonyE

I guess its an german 7,62x57 !!

i gues its an german 8x57 rifle round with a kind of trench art !!
because it looks like not an official manufacturing stamp !!

best regards David

I was thinking possibly non-military, could well be 7.62 as I measure with a yard stick. I could photograph shell, but headstamp will not come out on my camera although headstamp is well pronounced. Small stuff is not my cup of tea, and if I remember correctly I found in in my grandfathers shed many many years ago...Dano

Western 1918

i gues its an german 8x57 rifle round with a kind of trench art !!
because it looks like not an official manufacturing stamp !!

best regards David

Sorry Dave, but it is a proper headstamp. here is an 8mm Lebel made by Western.

However. Dano's case is rimless, so it is not a lebel.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Wester8mm.jpg
    Wester8mm.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 4
Dano, if you only measured it with a yardstick - my guess is a .30-06.
Erik

Western

Hi TonyE, that is the exact headstamp and here is photo of shell casing itself..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 187.jpg
    Picture 187.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 18
Dano, like I wrote before - the guess came truth - its a .30-06 case.
Erik

war or what

Was WESTERN a military issue, or private manufacture? Dano
This casing is spoke for as I am trading it with one of my trade buddies over there

.30-06

Was WESTERN a military issue, or private manufacture? Dano
This casing is spoke for as I am trading it with one of my trade buddies over there

It was manufactured by a private company, Western Cartridge Company, on contract for the U.S. military.

Regards
TonyE

card of thanks

Thanks TonyE and MTLB, as there seems to never be a shortage of knowledge in this forum. I don't really collect small stuff (less than 20mm) so I have already promised it off in a trade. WW1 is my area but again the small stuff just don't trip my trigger. Best to all..Dano