What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID for friend

RichieN

Hi all

Am after an ID for a friend of this item attached. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• Photo002.jpg
    Photo002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 43
  • nose.jpg
    nose.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Lug.jpg
    Lug.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Im sure this has been posted before??
Is it Jap? I first thought it was german with the side fuze pocket but im sure that tail tells me its Jap?

best

waff

For what it's worth, my vote would be German. I have never seen any refrence to Japanese bombs with a side fuze pocket. Pat

ID bomb

On quick viewing, the bomb like to be a SC 50 or equivalent. The tail let me thinking on a russian bomb.

Should it not be possible to be a russian bomb post WW II ?

ID bomb

Other idea, we used in the years 80 a trepaning machine whose made holes in a bomb with a diameter of approx 8 cm with the purpose to empty the bomb by steaming. This material was US.

Should it possible that they used this method for emptying a japanese bomb ?

Is this hole threaded or not ?
I see no hanging lugs !? Suspended by straps like some russian bombs ?

I just had a qiuck gander at my 2 cases in the collection. The one pictured has its 'pocket' too far back towards the base end to be a german SD or SC to me?

best

waff

Good link Yoda. :)

The one that needs Ident has a pointed tip where as the one in the link looks flat-tipped? Does look very similar. I assume the drawing one has a ringed tail thats shown as a cross section?

cheers

waff

tankyou for all the help. the other picture you found a link for is of the same munition. it is a project we are doing for the EOD Course. Looks like the previous person had trouble identifying it too!

there was no threading in the tranverse fuze pocket,which was approx 180mm deep and 70mm wide.T

There are similarities to munitions suggested but none look exactly the same.
Please continue to post if you manage to find anything out, and i will have a look for things myself too.

Doesn't look Japanese, but one of the easiest ways to tell is to look at the lifting lug. Can you take a photo of it? In addition, while there is discussion about whether or not it is transverse fuzed, it is not possible from the photo to tell if it can take a nose of tail fuze?

The lug is similar to the Japanese bomb lug for Navy bombs, but without the characteristic four pins that help to secure it to the bomb. I've cleaned up your photo a little (1) and added a couple of photos from a couple of different models of 50kg Naval bomb for comparison (2-3).

I've photographed around fifty different models of Japanese bombs, none with a round fin support/shroud, with the exception of a single design of submunition. The fins on this bomb do not appear to remove easily, so it is hard to tell if it takes a tail fuze, a transverse fuze or was simply a practice bomb intended to take no fuze.

If it were a practice bomb the chances for wide variations would be much greater, but even there most of the Jap naval pieces followed the norm (4-5). I'm afraid the jury is still out on this one.

Attachments

• Lug 1.jpg
    Lug 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Lug 2.jpg
    Lug 2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Lug 3.jpg
    Lug 3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Bomb, Jap practice.jpg
    Bomb, Jap practice.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Bomb, Jap practice - lug.jpg
    Bomb, Jap practice - lug.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 9
Possible ID

This bomb is reported to have been used extensively by the Japanese in the Malayan campaign (see accompanying diagram).

The Bomb.

The bomb consists of a steel nose secured by twenty 10-mm. (0.4 in.) rivets to a steel body, at the other end of which is attached a tail assembly with four fins. The body and tail assembly are connected by a steel ring riveted to the tail cone by twenty-four 5-mm. (0.2 in.), rivets and screwed to the body by twenty-eight 5-mm. screws. The casing is identical with that of the 50-kg. incendiary bomb. The type-97 fuse is used in the nose.

The Fuse.

(a) Description. The body (1) carries the striker spindle (2) which is held in place by a thin shear wire (3) and by a grub screw (4) which engages in a slot (5) in the spindle. The upper portion of the spindle carries a left-hand thread which screws into a pressure block (6). At the top of the striker spindle is a small screw (7) with a right-hand thread and large head; the function of this screw is to prevent the pressure block (6) from unscrewing completely. The pressure block carries a brass cap (8) with four galvanized iron vanes, the cap being attached to the block by four small screws. A small steel striker (9) is screwed into the bottom of the striker spindle.

(b) Method of functioning. Before the bomb is released the cap and pressure block are screwed firmly down on the striker spindle. The screw (7) bears tightly against the inside of the cap (8) and this prevents the threads on the striker spindle (2) and the pressure block (6) from jamming. The pressure block rests on the shoulder of the main body (1). On release of the bomb from the aircraft, the wire is withdrawn from two loops in the center of the vanes and from the safety wire loop (10). The remaining vanes rotate in a clockwise direction, so that the pressure block and cap are raised off the shoulder of the body (1), the striker (2) being still prevented from moving by the shear wire (3). The vanes are prevented from coming off completely by the screw (7) the thread of which is right-hand and cannot be rotated by the pressure block (6). On impact the cap-pressure block-striker system is forced down, breaking the shear wire; and the detonator functions. The maximum number of rotations of the cap-pressure block system is 5 3/4, the pitch being 3 mm. (0.12 in.), and the striker is approximately 4 mm. (0.16 in.) from the cap. Just over one turn is therefore sufficient to fire the fuse. The body (1) has an internal thread at its lower end, into which a brass gaine or magazine can be screwed.

Not Positive that this is the item but close...

Attachments

• Japanese Sixty-Kilogram High Explosive Bomb (Type 97).jpg
    Japanese Sixty-Kilogram High Explosive Bomb (Type 97).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 18