What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID German (?) shell

timefuze

Hi,

A difficult one, I guess...
I recently found a bottom part of an exploded German (Waa marked with eagle at the bottom) shell in an area where a German ammo train was straffed.
The shell part diameter measures 116mm or 100mm because it is blasted oval. I guess this ends up near a calibre 10,5cm shell... but not sure, nor about which type it is.
See pictures attached. For reference I added a bottom part of what I think is was a 10,5cm Sprgr for LFH 18 with copper driving band (found in same location).
There is a groove and a knurling for the driving band visible on the to be identified shell. The wall thickness is thinner than the that of the reference 10,5cm LFH 18 shell + the bottom of the cavity is spherical, while this is flat in the 10,5cm LFH 18 shell.
The driving band seems to have started about 80mm above the bottom of the shell (above the groove but under the knurling marks).

Anyone an idea of the type of shell that I found? Could it be captured, "germanized" ammo in a calibre slightly bigger than 10,5cm?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brgds,

Timefuze

Attachments

• SANY0187.jpg
    SANY0187.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SANY0188.jpg
    SANY0188.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 15
  • SANY0189.jpg
    SANY0189.jpg