What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID Help on US Hand Grenade, possibly WWI era or post-war

bigearns

I inherited a collection of munitions from my grandfather who was in the US Army from 1917 to about 1933. During his time, he was an instructor for machine guns and perhaps other weaponry. Among his things I found an inert US hand grenade, but I know nothing about it. Can anyone help me identify it?

Attachments

• DSCN3065.jpg
    DSCN3065.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3066.jpg
    DSCN3066.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN3067.jpg
    DSCN3067.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN3068.jpg
    DSCN3068.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN3069.jpg
    DSCN3069.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN3070.jpg
    DSCN3070.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN3072.jpg
    DSCN3072.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN3073.jpg
    DSCN3073.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN3074.jpg
    DSCN3074.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 50
The red body was an inter-war "practice" paint scheme used by the US Army, was it not?

Tom.

Thanks for that clarification/guess. I considered the training aspect but had never seen one 'til now. All I know is blue for us, red for "them". Odd they'd use a real frag body for that, tho. Maybe a very early one, considering Grandpa's service era. Before they made real fake(practice) ones. Hope they used this only for throwing and not with the popping practice fuze. Or maybe it was a field expedient for training.

My grandfather was a small arms instructor and was stationed in Colblenz, Germany as part of 8th Army and the American Forces in Germany for many years. I believe he was in and around that part of Germany from 1918 to about 1922. Then he was stationed at Ft. Schreven, Georgia, which I think is on Little Tybee Island east of Savannah. Maybe these locations and his instructor job explains the paint job. Thoughts?

"Thoughts?" : As a small arms instructor, he would have had ample/golden opportunities when the grenades came out. At the least, he would have been a helper or Safety Officer or some such. And stuff ends up left over or laying and SOMEBODY has to police the area. And fatigues are bulky with big pockets. That's all I'm gonna say about that. As my (retired military) pappy used to advise, don't yell ATTENTION! when you go in the garage as half the sh!t'll stand and salute.

Last edited:
I see what you mean; I also found 2 metal-link belts of .30 machine gun blank ammunition, one 112 round belt and one 52 round belt, and a 37 mm "1.457 in Subcal Gun" shell and case. Now I'm wondering what to do with all this stuff.

Red was used for practice grenades up until about 1926 so that seems to fit. However, it should not have the filling plug in the bottom. Overall a really nice piece.

If you noticed the bottom of the fuze head where the striker clocks back to is angled rather than straight.

Thanks for that clarification/guess. I considered the training aspect but had never seen one 'til now. All I know is blue for us, red for "them". Odd they'd use a real frag body for that, tho. Maybe a very early one, considering Grandpa's service era. Before they made real fake(practice) ones. Hope they used this only for throwing and not with the popping practice fuze. Or maybe it was a field expedient for training.
I believe the body was the same for the live and the practice grenade however the filler plug was replaced by a Cork one. The body was then re usable.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Red was used for practice grenades up until about 1926 so that seems to fit. However, it should not have the filling plug in the bottom. Overall a really nice piece.

Red body with a plug in the bottom would be Practice, filled with Talc and using a No.6 Fulminate Detonator.