What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

id help please

leeski

hi all have had this at the back of the collection for a few years you can see why by looking at the pictures
i think it a 4.5" of some sort any help woould be much apreciated

many thanx lee

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 41
ID

Hi Lee - I bumped into one of those in a forest in Poland 2 years ago. I was working in Warsaw and a friend invited me to visit a forest nearby which was full of trenches from the war (which are the perfect place to find mushrooms according to her!). Pretty scary sight.
I took a picture and showed to the police which then called the army. Later I showed the pic to a collector in the war and peace show in the UK and he told me it was a ww2 anti tank with a rear tracer (the hole at the back). It had 2 copper driving bands - missing in your picture. I had a look in the net at the time but didnt find anything.
cheers
pablo

thanx for looking pablo but mine would only have the one driving band at the base i have been informed it could be a 4.7 inch but i cant find any detailed pictures of that one either

regards lee

Last edited:
Square crimp groove !

Looks like it may be a 4.5 inch from your scale Lee, but what I find interesting and may well turn out to be the clue here is the "Square" crimping groove for the case as that is very unusual.
Good luck in fully identifying your item.

shot

Hi Leeski, It is not a 4in naval WWII practice shot as they have an external tracer and the wide band but look similar. Not much help really but if you can be sure what it is not then what you have left is what it is. 2pr

ive tried this in a 4.5 case and its bigger about a 4.7 inch any more ideas please

regards lee