What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID help: What is this cast iron grenade? *Lots of photos

natocollector

Hi everyone.

Got a hold of a uniqe grenade and I cant find any specs on this item. Who made these?

• Im guessing its an throwing practice grenade.
  • It reminds me of a hybrid between a American MKI/II and a British Mills.
  • Two piece welded together, or one piece? Cast iron.
  • No markings or trader-marks.
  • The casting-edges (or the welding between the two bodies?) have been grinded down. The grinding-scars looks like they done it with a electric-disc-grinder, so im guessing this makes it a post 1950´s grenade?

From left: Mills 36, THE UNKNOWN?, MKII Practice

IMG_1229.jpg

Right and left view:
IMG_1222.jpg IMG_1223.jpg

Front and back view:
IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1225.jpg

Top and bottom view:
IMG_1227.jpg IMG_1228.jpg

Markings from grinding and 2 part body ´split´:
IMG_1231.jpg IMG_1232.jpg

It's a Mills Throwing Prac Grenade. There were numerous versions of these types of grenades. I have several including the one you have here. British Mills Practise Grenade WW1 or WW2.

I dont think its ´home made´. Looks more industerial-production. I know of two other collectors who have one, so that makes 4 of these ´the unknown´. Those collectors neither knows its origin.

I've got one. They were frequently painted a deep red.

They are often linked to local Home Guard production (1940 - 1944), though it is often impossible to trace this back. None have makers marks.

The fact they look more like a No 5 than a No 36 gives the impression the maker was more linked to WW1 use than WW2.

John

P1050492.jpg

Not sure why my image came out sideways ? was supposed to be upright, but another example which I am sure lots of collectors have. Agree with everything John said in his last post regarding Home Guard WW2 and that they may possibly have been produced earlier for training during WW1.

Sam

I've got one. They were frequently painted a deep red.

They are often linked to local Home Guard production (1940 - 1944), though it is often impossible to trace this back. None have makers marks.

The fact they look more like a No 5 than a No 36 gives the impression the maker was more linked to WW1 use than WW2.

John

Thanks for the info. It would be awesome to track this grenade to its origin, looks like there where a few of them out there....