What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID if possible please

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok a difficult one (maybe) these are the only pics i have ,,they have been sent to me on behalf of someone else.The following is the only info i have
Found in the UK during range clearance task
Has been described as 28lb High explosive anti-tank..i cant find anything described as 28lb in my docs.
Tracer pockets shown have been found on these ,also what are the smal studs on the bottom of the round
Sorry about lack of info/pictures but If anyone can provide a positive id and further information/pictures of a complete round it would be most welcome

thanks allan

Attachments

• Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Image030.jpg
    Image030.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 48
Wombat Tracer ?

Spotter I think the Tracer unit is from a 120 mm Wombat Practice Squash Head projectile due to its shape and also the attached plug.

You may find a small disc about 25mm OD with a hole of about 18mm ID "rolled" into the business end where it would have secured a thin Copper/Brass disc to seal the element. Perhaps a picture of the open end would confirm this if you have one ?

As for the shell, it is probably a very old one that appears to have suffered a "Low order" explosion of the contents and the "studs" on the base may be a means of darkness identification as I would not expect them to be a "functional" item.

Cant provide anymore info chris as this is all i have "hi allan,thanks for your help with this mate, as i said before its a 28lb HE anti-tank round fired we now think from a tank at another tank, we found an add on tracer pocket that fits to them. have found 5 or 6 of these bad boys now well parts of them. i just would like some info on them you know what i mean! points to note on them are, in image 028 the four little nipples never seen that before!""
regards allan

I agree that the tracer looks like one from a Wombat.

See the attached pictures. Unfortunately the shell still crimped into the case and I can't get a side view.

Attachments

• BAT.jpg
    BAT.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 21
  • BAT2.jpg
    BAT2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 15
  • BAT3.jpg
    BAT3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 13
  • BAT4.jpg
    BAT4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the help everyone does anyone have a photo or drawing of just the wombat projectile (sectioned if possible),,looking at your photos showing the tracer it appears to have an aluminium base,,i was wondering if this had rotted away on the picture i posted of the partial round

Copper washer.

Allan there are NO Aluminium components on the Wombat projectiles for Prac SH or SH.
There is a copper washer between the tracer element and Plug and also the shell body.

I cannot make out what calibre your shell is as the ruler is not visible-any idea's ?

Thanks for the help everyone does anyone have a photo or drawing of just the wombat projectile (sectioned if possible),,looking at your photos showing the tracer it appears to have an aluminium base,,i was wondering if this had rotted away on the picture i posted of the partial round

sorry i wrote this badly,i made it sound like i was talking about only the tracer ,,,,,its ment to say where the tracer fits to the projectile. is the bottom of the projectile aluminium ..

the original question already answered by chris

Last edited:
I have a drawing of a 120mm TK HESH shell

The cross section shows a very thick solid base, almost the same as the diameter of the shell with a central base percussion fuze and four tracers arranged around the fuze in the base. The front of the shell has very thin walls to allow it to squash onto the plate before exploding.

The WOMBAT round I have is differnt to the drawing , by having a central tracer screwed into the fuze on the bottom of the shell.

I don't want to post the drawing since I am unsure of the copyright of the book it is in

Nipples ?

Hi Spotter a thought just briefly came to mind (yes it does ocassionally happen !) the four nipples you mention-"in image 028 the four little nipples never seen that before!"" may well be Tracer units very similar to the L11 Squash Head Tank rounds that are mentioned as they use "steel" screw in plugs that when severely rusted will apear as your projectile base !

I am pretty sure that the separate "Tracer unit" is from a Wombat 120 mm and nothing to do with your shell body.