What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id please on some ordnance?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm interested in finding out what this
DSCF3446.jpg
might be. Any clues?

It was/can be seen at the bottom of the sea in the area of the Farne Islands on the wreck of a certain (HMS) Corrington.

Good day Dive Tramp,

And welcome on this forum, read your intro earlier, and Im pretty sure you will find lots of help on this site as it is a very good well of knowledge. I know I did so far...
As for your query, here is what I got for you... Picture look very good by the way, and got the main info needed to ID it. (I think...) Very cool to see other point of view... under water that is! Any chance that remaining of the projectile still with it??
It seems to be a British, base Fuze, percussion medium no 12 special. Well they seem to look the same on diagram. British Fuze, Percussion Base Medium, No 12 Special, Mk XI were used in 18-pdr armor piercing shells. Like the one on far right. Of course, I do believed it was used in other kind of shells.
Can anyone confirm??

Hope the info is good for you. At least, it's a start.
Cheers.
FCAT.

Fuze, Percution, BAse, Medium, No 12 Metal.jpgFuze, Percussion, Base, Medium, No12 Color.jpgModern 18-pdr rds 1939.jpg

Many thanks for that French Ammo. That was quick!

I have a correction to the vessel ID, it s in fact SS Coryton, sunk en route from Methil (Scotland) to Hull (England) in 1941, sunk by German bombers. It's main cargo was Wheat!

Dscf3448.jpg

No. 12 Fuze;

Great images, what type camera did you use? What year did this ship sink?
There may be other fuze models present. Are the fuzes difficult to remove ?
Regards,
John

I suspect the fuze was manufactured by "George Kent Ltd." of Biscot Road, Luton. (GK) in December 1918 (12/18). It is hard to make out, but it appears the fuze was filled January 1919.

It appears the projectile has rusted away, leaving just the base within the driving band and fuze therein.

Regards

TimG.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for your incoming.

On this occassion it's not actually my picture, so I'll find out what camera it was for you. My camera is a simple Fuji F50 with U/W housing (suitable for deoths of up to 40m).

The ship sank in 1941 apparently.

picture

me thinks that somewhere near that base fuze is a chunk of HE! A careless diver could well depth charge himself and it would kill some fish as well. 2pr