What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID Please WWII Bomb Fuse ?

dave8472

Hi, firstly I am new here so sorry if this is in wronge section, can any one tell me what this is from, think it is part of the fuse from a bomb ?
Cleaned up quite nice after a dip in acid

Made of brass, markings are, also has 2 little crown symbols on

No 199 IV F? 3/39 RL5/39 871

Dave

Attachments

• 002 05 07 2010.jpg
    002 05 07 2010.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 003 05 07 2010.jpg
    003 05 07 2010.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi Dave,

I'm not qualified to tell you all the details, but what you have is the bottom part of a 199 fuze. I believe this was used in the 3.7 inch shells amongst others 3/39 is the date march 1939.

I'm sure others will fill you in with more details

regards
Kev

Fuze No 199

It appears you have a portion of a No. 199 Time Fuze. The portion that you have is the two time rings which would contain a pyrotechnic delay. The pyrotechnic in each of the rings burns in opposite directions and depending on their position is relation to each other this controls the time delay before the fuze functions.

I have borrowed a photo from Chris 42 RQ post and have put a black rectangle around the portion of the fuze you have. According to the fuze list the No. 199 Time Fuze was developed in 1925 and was the first long pointed AA fuze. The fuze was introduced in 1933 and became obsolete in 1951.

Attachments

• No 199 time rings.JPG
    No 199 time rings.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 37
Hello and welcome to BOCN your "bomb" fuze is as per the previous answers the remains of a No199 anti aircraft projectile fuze,ive attactched some pages from a manual on 3.7inch anti aircraft ammunition

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 21
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 35
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 19
Hi all, I can't thank you all enough for the detailed reply to my request, I am very impressed with this forum and can't wait to upload some of my collection for you all to see

Dave