What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

id please

jordon1995

hello everone can anyone tell me what this shell is please i have pot a 50 cal shell in the pic for scale. :tinysmile_shy_t:

across the base 74 mm hight 225 mm

meny thanks Jordon

Attachments

• Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
For my two cents, there are two characteristics that stand out to help the Identification: The rotating band is very close to the base indicating it was most likely from a BL (Bag Loaded) gun or a separate loading gun. Additionally, the rotating band is square and not tapered much at the front, commonly referred to as the "economy" design, used by the U.K. during WW I, to save time and money. The width of the rotating band and shape of the shell make it look very much like the WWII 3"/76mm U.S. M79 AP-Shot-T, except there were two grooves cut into the rotating band, which show up on a fired band.

There wasn't a photo included of the base. Is there any indication of tracer or cavity in the base?

John

Last edited:
her is a pic of the base hopefully this will help with the id.

many thanks Jordon :tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
Jordan,

What is the distance from the rotating band to the base of the projo? Inches or mm is fine.

John

hi there look at pic for mesermants

many thanks jordon

Attachments

• Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Jordon,

I have attached a photo of two U.S. M79 AP-SHOT-Tracer projos, one fired and one not. The unfired one (Dated 1942) is 19.5mm from base to rotating band, but the firing swages the band closer to the base, so the fired one is 15 to 16mm just like yours. Both projos measure 9 inches or about 230mm tip to base. Both have tracer holes like yours. Best 99% guess is that is what you have. It was fired from the 76mm gun (straight M26 case), or the M-10 Tank destroyer or mobile Antiaircraft guns using the bottleneck Mk. II M2 case. It is the older design AP-T projo before the APHE-T M62 projos were developed. One note. The U.S. also had a TP-T projectile made of cast iron with the same dimentions as the M79, designated the M85. If your projo is cast iron it is an M85, but cast iron doesn't usually rust as much as steel due to the high carbon content. Your projo has been quite rusted.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0799 best 3 in RC.jpg
    IMG_0799 best 3 in RC.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 25