What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

id please

leeski

any idea what these are aprox 2 inchs long and on the base is RG 37

regards lee

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 126
Hi Lee,
they are 9mm spotting rounds foR the SMAW,that will be RG 87 on the headstamp,they are basicly a necked up 7.62x51 nato round with a .22" hornet blank in the base which partialy ejects when fired which re-cocks the action of the spotting barrel of the SMAW.

All the best
Tony

Hi Leeski,
Are you sure the date is not 87 ? they look like 9mm spotting rounds. Essentially a necked up 7.62 case with a blank inside that pops out of the base when fired.
Hangarman

Hi Lee a photo of these rounds,not the correct projectile but very close to it
Tony

Attachments

• PA220013.JPG
    PA220013.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 74
thanx for the quick id guys and yes they are dated 87 and ty for the picture tony

regards lee

9mm SMAW

The original experimental spotter round for the SMAW was a 7.62x51mm, but with a long unjacketed lead bullet holding the tracer and flash element. It was found a larger bullet was needed so they moved to the 9x51mm.

I need an example of the 7.62mm version (which also used the .22 Hornet blank high/low pressure system) if anyone has one.

I also need the 9mm version with the yellow and red tip and also the chromed case type. The latter is used as the top round of the magazine so that corrosion/electrolysis does not take place in storage.

Regards
TonyE

The original experimental spotter round for the SMAW was a 7.62x51mm, but with a long unjacketed lead bullet holding the tracer and flash element. It was found a larger bullet was needed so they moved to the 9x51mm.

I need an example of the 7.62mm version (which also used the .22 Hornet blank high/low pressure system) if anyone has one.

I also need the 9mm version with the yellow and red tip and also the chromed case type. The latter is used as the top round of the magazine so that corrosion/electrolysis does not take place in storage.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
do you know the L number for the red tipped tracer? I have found a refrence to the yellow on red tipped tracer/spotter as being a L3A1.

Cheers
Tony

9mm

I don't know. It is either L1A1 or L2A1, as the chrome plated top round in the magazine is the L4A1.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks TonyE,
That 'falls' into place nicely,one of my rounds came from the states,a Radway green one though!

Cheers
Tony