What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID request: ancient Russian or Japanese projectile?

ogreve

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone trained in ancient projectiles can ID this one for me.
I have the possibility of buying the projectile that is shown in the attached pictures; I do not yet know the asking price, and I would need an ID first in order to see if it is interesting enough to acquire. The projectile is located in Japan, so acquisition and postage costs will be a killer. I shall only go for it if it's interesting enough, as it will otherwise become cost prohibitive.

Good, with that out of the way, I have just started checking some of the details. I have yet to ask for the dimensions, as well as the precise markings. From the pictures I seem to make out markings in three locations, being on the fuze, on the bottom of the projectile and right above the driving band. These markings appear to be Russian to me, but I am not certain. Especially the "YA" like markings on the fuze have a distinct Cyrillic feel to me. I looked up the Cyrillic alphabet, and these markings could then possibly read as "chede" or if they are numerals, they could represent respectively "90" and "4", which I then presume to be an indication of the year "(18)94".

The '3' like marking right above the driving band could possibly read as a Cyrillic 'Ze'. It can, of course, also simply be the number '3'.

The markings on the bottom are more difficult to make out; they appear to be Western numbers, but I really need a better picture to be sure.

Is the above (combined with the images) perhaps already sufficient for someone to ID it?

I am of course hoping that it is an ancient Japanese projectile, but I think it is more likely to be Russian (possibly brought back as a souvenir of the 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese war).

Then, even if it is Russian it may of course still be of interest to someone else. Can someone tell me what a realistic maximum price is that something like this might cost, before it becomes cost-prohibitive?

Thanks in advance and cheers,
Olafo

IMGP2491_with_text.jpgIMGP2466.jpgIMGP2477.jpgIMGP2496_with_text.jpgIMGP2471.jpgIMGP2480.jpgIMGP2484.jpgIMGP2475.jpgIMGP2474.jpgIMGP2464.jpgIMGP2465.jpgIMGP2482.jpgIMGP2472.jpgIMGP2481.jpgIMGP2463.jpgIMGP2483.jpgIMGP2462.jpgIMGP2492_with_text.jpg

Not much help...

Im not sure if it is any help but the fuze looks very similar to this one?

Darren

Attachments

• Fuze,%20Russian%2022G%20PD%20001.jpg
    Fuze,%20Russian%2022G%20PD%20001.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 28
Hi Darren,

Thanks a million!
Yes, this helps a lot: it confirms my gut feeling. If you look closely at the drawing, you'll see that it carries the same "YA" like marking and that the overall shape nicely matches that of the pictures of the fuze. A thing I forgot to write is that the projectile in all respects looks like a shrapnell one in a calibre of approximately 75mm and that the fuze is (obviously) of the powder-time kind.

Now.... the remaining question becomes the 'value' question.... Can someone put a price tag on this, at which price it would still be of interest to acquire?

Note: my interest in strictly in Japanese and ancient Chinese ammunition, so I wouldn't be buying this for my own collection, but rather I'd be buying it for someone else to help them out (and/or possibly trade for something Japanese or ancient Chinese). If anyone takes a particular interest in this projectile, please let me know, and I shall see what I can achieve.

Cheers,
Olafo

Well olafo, im glad i was of some help regarding the fuze, yes i now see that the fuze on the drawing is marked 'YA' also.

Unfortunatly i have no idea of value of the shell.

Darren

Hi again,

Some follow-up information has just been sent to my e-mail address, along with measurements and further pictures: the length is 27 centimeters and the diameter is (approximately) 7.5 centimeters. The seller also confirmed the markings to appear to be Cyrillic. Sounds like the 76mm shrapnel projectile to me.

Anyone interested?

Cheers,
Olafo

PS: It is pictured along with a Japanese Type 38 75mm shrapnel projectile for comparison. As air mail from Japan is mightily expensive, in case of interest it will be coming in by sea mail, combined with some other projectiles.

IMGP2763.jpgIMGP2761.jpgIMGP2765.jpgIMGP2764.jpgIMGP2762.jpgIMGP2760.jpg

Wow, when you said ancient, I was expecting made out of stone or dinosaur poop or something like that.

Hi Ogreve,
It looks very much like a Russian 76.2mm shrapnel shell, have attached a few pics of some in my collection to compare, These are dated 1905 as is the case they are packed in, all empty and inert.
Best regards Weasel. new pics 23 0339.jpgnew pics 23 03412.jpg7611.jpgnew pics 23 0341.jpgnew pics 23 0327.jpgnew pics 23 0366.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:
Wow, when you said ancient, I was expecting made out of stone or dinosaur poop or something like that.

Hi John,
Not quite... maybe 'ancient' is too strong a word then... For me, ammo over 100 years old is 'ancient', but apparently YMMV :p

Either way: it's good to see it identified. Next time I'll stick to the word 'old' rather than 'ancient' I guess...

Cheers,
Olafo

Weasel, EOD and Darren: thanks a lot for your help; it's much appreciated!
Knowing that it is not rare enough to go after it for some other collector has helped me spare a lot of money. Keep in mind that such Japanese 75mm shrapnel projos in the shown condition cost me between $100 - $150 a piece, PLUS shipping from Japan. Hence, there's good reason for me to do some cherry-picking, and only go after the ones that are interesting enough.
From what you wrote, I don't think this projectile will be a good buy. I'm quite positive it will cost me an effective $125 - $150 to get it here, so for a regular projectile, that's just not worth it.

Cheers mates!
Olafo