What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID tag ID

I saw this and just had to have it. Instead of writing it out you can read the tag pics. Appears to be WW1 era ID tag for a bomb ramp in US...Size 1 inch by 4 1/4 inches.....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 718.jpg
    Picture 718.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 719.jpg
    Picture 719.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 41
ID tag

Just wanted to bump this thread to get it back on board. When I google Marlin Rockwell I just run into a bunch of generic stuff and nothing on company history. I saw this tag and bought it with the word bomb and the 1917 date and all. Am looking for any info, maybe the Marlin part is the gun company?? Dano

Dano, I don't know about the company, but I think I may have a pub on the bomb. I picked up about 4-5 different specific documents on WWI bombs a few years ago, it seems like that was one of them. I'll look at home tonight and see if its one that isn't packed away.

Tha barlow heavy drop bomb, here you are.

Attachments

• The Barlow drop bomb.jpg
    The Barlow drop bomb.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 20
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate that. In meantime have done a little more checking and it appears that Barlow had a number of bomb patents. The government enlisted Marlin Rockwell to build the bombs and attachments during WWI. About Marlin Rockwell.
Opened in 1881 as Marlin Firearms Co.
Became Marlin Rockwell in 1915
Marlin Firearms Co. again in 1926
About Barlow's bomb patents. I found this page and found it quite interesting.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/barlow-bomb-patents.htm

Dano

Last edited:
And here the releas mechanisem (trap) where your tag comes from.

Attachments

• trap.jpg
    trap.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 25
  • trap1.jpg
    trap1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 23
Thanks blu97, Sure appreciate that. I would think anything aircraft ordnance related form the U.S. must be quite scarce as we were using French aviation stuff mostly during WWI. Looks like my tag may be on the bomb next to the trap...Dano

I've seen it all now Dano. someone actually found a bomb for your one in a million tag.
John

Nice little find there Dano!!

I shouldn't think there are many of those around - well done in securing that one for your collection.

great to see the wealth of information on this item too.....excellent stuff

regards Kev

Nice little find there Dano!!

I shouldn't think there are many of those around - well done in securing that one for your collection.

great to see the wealth of information on this item too.....excellent stuff

regards Kev
Thanks Kev, When I saw this tag I knew I had to have it. Ended up costing 30.00us which may be a bit steep but again I wanted it. Logic tells me that these bombs probably saw no war service but with the 1917 date and the word "bomb" on the tag I found it interesting. It seems that Barlow had quite a bit of knowledge and practice in the bomb area but mostly between the wars from what I gather. This is not in my main collection area of interest but I think it makes a fine "go with" for display. It is amazing to me how helpful the membership is when we try to ID things of this sort and others. I feel like you guys are my brothers and try to be helpful when possible. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. What an awesome reference source BOCN is....Dano

Couldn't find the book, either its still packed or I imagined it. Here are a couple that were on the shelf.

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled-7.jpg
    Untitled-7.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Jeff, I kind of figured by the web page that it was more of a 1919 item. Makes some sense as the Allies did not think the war would end in 1918 at the time of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. Foch was already planning a massive offensive for 1919, then Germany sued for peace. I think had the war gone to 1919 that much more U.S. equipment would have made it in........Dano

Last edited:
Remember also that even today there is a considerable time lag before a publication gets into print. Its hard to say when it was actually developed, when the pub was printed and which date was entered. Crowell's book "America's Munitions 1917-1918" has some pretty good pictures of US bombs on aircraft.