What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID unknown fuzes

timefuze

Hi,

Again I need to revert to some experts out there to identify two fuzes I found in a Belgian military training ground.
Fuzes are aluminum. Thread to mate with projectile is about 52mm diameter. Height of alu cone is about 10cm.
One fuze is still in a steel top part of the exploded projectile. I removed this on the one at the left.

Anybody a clue what this is and for which projectile these were used?

Txs and enjoy the long wknd,

Timefuze

SANY0562.jpg

I don't know who shoots what in Belgium, but the fuzes look like a takeoff of the U.S. M52 series fuzes used on Mortars which uses a bore rider safety, and the adaptor piece looks line the adaptor that goes on the top end of a UK 81mm HE mortar round. The U.S. also used that round in the Gulf War, till it started building its own versions which eliminated the adaptor.

The hole in the side is where the bore riding pin pops out against the inside of the Mortar tube, and then exits the fuze once the round leaves the tube, allowing it to arm.