What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ident required please

Chris 42 RQ

Please could someone identify this item for me.
It measures approximately 48mm Diameter by 100 mm Long and is made of Aluminium.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• ID reqd.JPG
    ID reqd.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 63
Supplementary Charge

I cannot tell you specifically what cartridge it is from, but I would guess it is a supplementary charge from an artillery projectile. I will try to positively confirm the type of projectile in case you were looking for something more specific.

I have attached a photo of a Canadian Supplementary Charge from a 105mm HE projectile for comparison. Since yours does not have any dummy or inert markings, I would be concerned it is still full of RDX.

Attachments

• Supplementary Charge.jpg
    Supplementary Charge.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 23
Exploder

I have found a description from Pamphlet 7 QF Separate Ammunition Part 3 Ammunition for the 105mm Guns that I believe matches your item. It is an Exploder from the Shell 105mm FD HE L31A3. I am sure it is used in other shells but this is a quote from the publication.

EXPLODER
11 The Shell is fitted with Exploder HE Shell 5 oz 4 dr RDX/WX8 canned to Dwg No. SX136AF and consists of an aluminium container filled with 151 g RDX/WX8 in pressed pellet form. A lifting becket in the form of an adhesive tape band fitted with a Felt Disc is attached to the Exploder.

Looks like an exploder from a HE 20 pdr. however I think they where only 2oz. Well older mods of the late 50's and early 60's.

I have found a description from Pamphlet 7 QF Separate Ammunition Part 3 Ammunition for the 105mm Guns that I believe matches your item. It is an Exploder from the Shell 105mm FD HE L31A3. I am sure it is used in other shells but this is a quote from the publication.

EXPLODER
11 The Shell is fitted with Exploder HE Shell 5 oz 4 dr RDX/WX8 canned to Dwg No. SX136AF and consists of an aluminium container filled with 151 g RDX/WX8 in pressed pellet form. A lifting becket in the form of an adhesive tape band fitted with a Felt Disc is attached to the Exploder.

I agree. That's exactly what it looks like. I've seen it usually referred to as a Booster in the US.

I used to have to inspect these as I removed them from 105 mm HE shell, while gauging the depth of the fuze well. When removed from the shell a long intrusion VT (variable time ie proximity) fuze could be fitted. If the canned exploder was left in place then fuzes of normal intrusion could be used with it in the shell. It was a bit of a b****r if the exploder was stuckfast and the lifting becket broke.

Many thanks gemtlemen!

Firstly I should apologise for the fact that I did not state "Empty and fully Inert" in my original post.

The item was given to me by a "Gunner" who also had to inspect these items and strangely he also said it was fine until you met the one with a broken lifting strap :eek: as tools were very limited indeed to remove the item.

Thank you all for identifying this item.