What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification help needed

Bulletman

Idendidfication promblem
I am thinking that projectile is a 18 pounder MK VII Smoke but i am not sure and I am searching for any information reference link about it

Dimension
height = 242 mm
fuze well width =48mm
round diameter = 82mm

there is a dark green or black band around the body

Thank you

progress.gif

Attachments

• 100_7134.jpg
    100_7134.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0599[1].jpg
    IMG_0599[1].jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0597[1].jpg
    IMG_0597[1].jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0598[1].jpg
    IMG_0598[1].jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_7142.jpg
    100_7142.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_7139.jpg
    100_7139.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Nice original looking round ,can you have a look on the body or base for any stampings

Nice projectile.
The 18 pounder is about 84mm in diameter, could it be one of them?
Dave.

The rotating band looks like 18 Pdr. Can we see a closeup photo of the rotating band?

Wikipedia got the same picture and they say it a 15 pounder but I am pretty sure youre right it a 18 pounder and a smoke one due to the wall thickness Thanks

18 Pounder shell

Driving band is a typical profile for the 18 pounder as Hazord suggests.

Unusual to get such a nice conditioned shell-what is the thread at the top like?
And you mention the wall thickness-any chance of a picture please?

18 Pdr

Are the projectile walls about 15mm thick all the way down or do they start out thin and get thicker toward the base? Is there a lip at the top of the projectile or at the bottom to support the pusher plate?

Attachments

• 18 Pdr HE 1.jpg
    18 Pdr HE 1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 18 Pdr HE.jpg
    18 Pdr HE.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 18 Pdr Sharpnel.jpg
    18 Pdr Sharpnel.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 18 Pdr Shrapnel 1.jpg
    18 Pdr Shrapnel 1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
The projectile wall thickness stay the same except at the bottom it makes a curve. There is a small lip at the top of the projectile

18 Pdr HE

Sounds like a HE projectile, you should be able to confirm the location of the lip on the diagram and cut away of the HE projectile.

You have an extremely nice example of an 18 pounder HE shell. The black band denotes an empty H.E. shell to be used for drill purposes. (Source: Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 18-PR Marks I, I*, II and II*. 1940).

I suspect that it is a late first war shell used as a drill prior to WW2 as the second war 18 pr produced projectiles were boat tailed.

BD

WWII 18 Pdr HE

Burney Davis, do you happen to have the Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 18-PR Marks I, I*, II and II*. 1940, and is it possible to get a scan of a WWII era HE projectile photograph or schematic? Did they change the design of the driving band on the later projectiles? This may solve one of my other problems.

I do have the handbook, and it mentions three types of DB, all very similar to look at. I'll see if I can get something for you in the next couple of days unless someone beats me to it!

Best

BD

Burney Davis, do you happen to have the Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 18-PR Marks I, I*, II and II*. 1940, and is it possible to get a scan of a WWII era HE projectile photograph or schematic? Did they change the design of the driving band on the later projectiles? This may solve one of my other problems.

Here is a picture of the driving bands. I cannot scan the book as it will fall apart if I do! Hope it's useful.

BD

Attachments

• 18pr db's.jpg
    18pr db's.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 20
From the pic looking into down into the inside, it doesn't look like the shrapnel type....I just sold one recently so I can't provide a comparison shot. But you're right, it not hard to differentiate between the HE & Shrapnel (although my one was repainted as a "HE".....it was long long time ago when I was a puppy!)
Cheers
Drew

......now you know why I just collect fuses..LOL

Actually I do have a pic.

Attachments

• Projectiles.jpg
    Projectiles.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: