What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification help PLEASE!

Here is a picture of a round up for sale that I am pondering whether or not to buy it. First of all I apologize for the pic quality but it would not let my PC copy it so I had to photograph the moniter. It is 3 inches in diameter and 7 inches tall. They are calling it a WWI French pneumatic mortar round. Is this correct. It is a bit pricy so I want to be sure it is what they say it is and I am not well versed on the French rounds. HELP.....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 555.jpg
    Picture 555.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 129
identifacation, please

that's what it is. Not to common in the US.Would be a nice display piece depending on condition. Highlandotter

donka

Thanks otter, The condition is EXCELLENT. It even has the force fit wood fuze plug still! Price is 250.00 US but I think it may be worth it. What do you think? And yes I think would make a good conversation/display piece....Dano

Dano, this is the picture you are refering to.

Regards, Jan

Attachments

• FR10170.jpg
    FR10170.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 60
HoW????

Jan, How do you do it. I cannot get my PC to copy anything off of GWM site, and yes that is the critter. By the way what do you think of it as I value your opinion highly? Dano

Yes Jan, I guess it is over-priced. I guess i'll take a pass on this one. After all i'm the one always griping about overpaying for ordnance. I guess my hipocracy only goes so far..Dano

Last edited:
Hi
77 mm french Guidetti grenade, not pneumatic launcher, loading with pressure of 11 mm special Gras cartridge.(not mortar round)

Hello

I agree with Doctor.

And it's the second model for this kind of grenades 77mm (the first were round shaped)

Attachments

• bocn2.JPG
    bocn2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 28
  • bocn.JPG
    bocn.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 30
Guidetti grenade 2nd model

Hi Dano,
should it be something like this ?

Yoda

Attachments

• FR Gren Guidetti-01.JPG
    FR Gren Guidetti-01.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 35
  • FR Gren Guidetti-02.JPG
    FR Gren Guidetti-02.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 31
  • FR Gren Guidetti-03.jpg
    FR Gren Guidetti-03.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 28
  • FR Gren Guidetti-04.JPG
    FR Gren Guidetti-04.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 29
Guidetti grenade, launcher

If you are interested, here come the launcher

Attachments

• FR Gren Guidetti-08.jpg
    FR Gren Guidetti-08.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 24
  • FR Gren Guidetti-05.JPG
    FR Gren Guidetti-05.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 30
Guidetti grenade 1st model and 65 mm model

And now, the first model of 77 mm grenade and the 65 mm grenade

Enjoy Dano

Yoda

Attachments

• FR Gren Guidetti-06.JPG
    FR Gren Guidetti-06.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 20
  • FR Gren Guidetti-09.jpg
    FR Gren Guidetti-09.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 19
  • FR Gren Guidetti-07.JPG
    FR Gren Guidetti-07.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 20
Thanks to all for the helpful information, but whether a pneumatic or Guidetti grenade, both had to be launched so would not they both be mortars??? Just can't comprehend launching by manual throwing.... Dano

Last edited:
I ripped this pic off another forum, it is what they're calling a pneumatic mortar shell. Yodamaster was kind enough to provide pics of the Guidetti launcher, and if the Guidetti is not a mortar than it is certainly some sort of artillery related item. Were there different pneumatic French rounds? Dano

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
positive ID

Found this googling, it is Guidetti mortar, and yes it is a MORTAR..Dano
Have weighing pros and cons about buying this piece, well here goes
Cons - overpriced by about 100.00us
- not the pneumatic I was looking for

Pros - Don't see these - EVER
- maybe not pneumatic morter but it is Guidetti WW1 French mortar just the same
It is in the US and I phone the order - will have in 2 days
It is "bitchin' looking and I want it

I ordered it and should be here Friday this week (I broke my own rule about overpaying for ordnance but this is one piece I must have
Will look good next to granatewerfer and granateschnellwerfer (and also stokes when I find one)

Attachments

• frenchmortar.jpg
    frenchmortar.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Guidetti mortar arrived

What I have been able to put together through BOCN members and a bit of googlemania. I have at least a partial answer for this piece. It arrived today via UPS (2nd day after I called order in). About 1/2 of the sources say mortar and the other half say rifle grenade. It was launched from a mortar looking tube with a rifle looking butt on the end. Appearantly it was launched via spring tension. Experience and common sense makes me think this thing is a mortar all the way. Especially with the protractor that can be locked at a specific angle. I show pics of it right after I unpacked it and a few other pictures showing the launcher with the exact projectile. Call it what you will but I get goosebumps when I look at it. The wood fuze plug is driven in the projectile and obviously could be fired from a plethora of angles or trajectories. I absolutely love this piece and displays nicely next to Granatenwerfer projectile, and a Stokes (when I get one!!). Let the pictures do the talking...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 559.jpg
    Picture 559.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 560.jpg
    Picture 560.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 561.jpg
    Picture 561.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
  • guidetti1[2].jpg
    guidetti1[2].jpg