What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

identification needed please

I have been tasked to find out what this piece of ammunition is but I have'nt a clue were to start and was hoping to find some help on here.

Any help is much appreciated

Dan

Attachments

• DSC00045.jpg
    DSC00045.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 76
This photo and the one from jfdet are clearly taken together, it might help to know where the location of the collection is/what it is identified as. This can sometimes be very helpful to determining the origins.

I agree with glevum, it looks like a trawl bobbin. I see plenty of them in the fishing village near where I live. They come in various sizes.

Hello,
I can confirm that it looks exactly similar to a theatre counterweight. I have worked in various theatres, including the Theatre Royal in Bristol, and seen these used in two others which still had old fashioned 'Hemp (rope) Set's' of flying gear. They were used to counterbalance the weight of the scenery being 'flown'.
Cheers,
navyman.

I agree with glevum, it looks like a trawl bobbin. I see plenty of them in the fishing village near where I live. They come in various sizes.

I'd agree with that too - seen very similar things on the beach near where I live.
Dave.

If this ball is solid iron and is 400mm dia it will weigh about 260kg.

If it is a bobbin it will be much lighter since they are hollow.

It looks like there are two lines of weld around the middle of the item plus a line around the hole.

How heavy is it?

What it is Not!

Well, for my two cents, it is not a spherical projectiles for cannons of any era.
Regards,
John aka Bart
P.S. If is was ordnance it is necessary to include all measurements in inches.

it is hollow but i cant pick it up off the floor i can roll it around easy enough. I thought it could possibly be a weight for a sea mine but it would probably float

Glevum has hit the nail on the head again.
Although the bobbin is hollow it is far too heavy to float.
Archimedes' Principal:
Any object, wholly or partially immersed in a fluid, is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.