What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification needed

ehre_treue

account suspended
Can anyone help me identify this object. I found it in a training area used by the French and Germans Through WW1. I can not find this anywhere in a book or on the net. On the bottom of the primer is the following 8 Gevelot 8 Paris. I have found two of these one complete with fins and one without. See pictures below.

_DSC0043.jpg
_DSC0042.jpg

Mortar round tail/s - dimensions would narrow down the caliber etc.
The base that is stamped is the bottom of the projecting cartridge. Gevelot are a renowned Shotgun cartridge maker & basically a shotgun cart is used to launch/fire mortar rounds.
The round is dropped down the launching tube where it is struck on the cart percussion cap by a fixed pin at the base of the tube. Whan the cart discharges the hot gases from the combustion/explosion are directed out of the port holes in the fin/tail section filling the gap between the base of the round body & bottom of the tube with the hot gases that want to expand thereby propelling the round up & out of the tube.

OK. Thanks for dims. Mortars not my thing but I`m sure someone will be able to ID from those dims.

ehre-treue,

Looks like this one.
Thanks to Mr Belot

Chris

Attachments

• Bg Mle 1918.jpg
    Bg Mle 1918.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 32