What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification of Shell Fragment PR?

Sam Seal

Hello -- I'm new to this so hope I've got it right!
I recently found a small fragment from the back end of a 3 inch diameter shell. It has the letters L and PR deeply cast into it.
I would very much like to know what the markings mean.
I ha
ve an inkling that the L is from R L -- Royal Laboratory.
The PR is a little more obscure (to me). May be 'Pounder' for its weight or even 'PRETORIA' ? Going on the size and spacing of the lettering the word PRETORIA would fit nicely across the back. I got that idea from seeing a picture on the internet of a similar type of shell, it had PRETORIA stamped on the face of its brass nose bung.
It was found
on a mud flat at Auckland, New Zealand, exposed at low tide about 1km away from a fortified hill, I guess that is where it was fired from.
It looks to me about 1880 vintage??
I would be very grateful to learn more about it

Below is a front and back picture of the piece.
Thank you,
Sam Seal.
View attachment 65393View attachment 65392

Hi Sam,Welcome to the BOCN forum,I am sure someone will be able to help with your identification request,
Regards,
Don,

Hi Sam,
It looks like the base of a British 6 or 9 pr studded shell, wil attach a picture when i find one to compare.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Sam,
I managed to dig out these photographs, they would seem to match up with the markings on the fragment you have.
Best regards Weasel.

Studded Shell Pair 01.jpgBase of Studded Shell 01.jpg

Hello Weasel
Thank you very much for your photograph, it shows exactly what I was looking for.
The idea of PR for PRETORIA was a red herring!!
I've attached a picture I found in a google search showing Pretoria -- From that I had the idea that some munitions were brought back here from South Africa after the Boer War.
Thank you once again.
Regards,
Sam Seal

.DC Artillery Shell Example Pretoria.JPGDC 3 inch Shell Cheltenham PR Query April 2012.jpgDC 3 inch Shell Cheltenham PR Query  Inside April 2012.jpg

Hi Sam,
The photo you show with the word Pretoria stamped on the fuze is a Boer made 1pr nose fuzed HE, infact i think the only round they made for this weapon. I have attached a few pic's of that round, one i used to have in my collection which looks to be the same one from your photo.
Best regards and happy collecting Weasel.

Boer Made 1pr HE 002.jpgBoer Made 1pr HE 004.jpg

Hello Weasel,
Thank you very much once again for your help.
It has been a very interesting exercise for me.
Kind regards,
Sam Seal.