What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification projectile

I've found this item in a Gothic line area:

IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0006.jpg

The area was defended by Wehrmacht till 1945 when it has been conquered by US Army (5 th Army).
Before this period, during the 1940, this area was occuped by Italian Army (R.E.I.) for training and military exercises.

Following the details of the item:

details.jpg

I've tried to clean the piece from the rust using the oxalic acid but there is written anything (or probably the long time has cancelled all)
I think that the answer about the origin of this item may be restricted between US, German or Italian artillery because in that area there are no historical traces of any other Army (like British etc..).

Anyone could help me for the identification?

Thank you in advance

Bombs is likely correct, the profile and general measurements are pretty close for the M64. The M64 has shown up in significant quantities in Italy, both with smoke (WP) and chemical (HD) fills. While there are exceptions, most of the discoveries take place in the NE.

It might be a low order 75mm M64 round

Thank you so much for your reply.
75 mm?
I was searching about 65 mm following the measures of the upper part, do you think it could be a 75 mm?

I don't know if it could be useful but in addition to the information previously indicated, i know (from an old witness) that 50 mt far away from the area in which i found it there were 2 german FLAK.
The problem is that i didn't know anything about FLAK with the caliber of 65 mm (or 75 as you suggest)

EDIT:
Bombs is likely correct, the profile and general measurements are pretty close for the M64. The M64 has shown up in significant quantities in Italy, both with smoke (WP) and chemical (HD) fills. While there are exceptions, most of the discoveries take place in the NE.

So you confirm the hypotesis of BOMBSaway1980 and so i was searching wrong in the German artillery :bigsmile:

As i found the m64 was used by US firing from M4 Sherman. Is it correct?

Last edited:
The M64 was fired by Shermans, and by 75mm Pack Howitzers. Some B-25 aircraft also carried a 75mm cannon centerline, like an A-10, that could have fired the projectile.

I have a similar projectile that is also missing the rotating band. If it is a chem projo, the bursting charge wasn't strong enough to split the projectile body, but springs it out to a larger diameter allowing the seal in the fuzewell to blow out releasing the chemical. When the body is sprung, the rotating band comes off.