What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification Required

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Can some please identify this item?
It was found in the UK at a test range.
I don't have any other information about it.

Thanks

Pete

Unknown Blacker.jpg

Hi .it looks like a air launched rocket from a hawker typhoon . . Im More than likely wrong though .Darrol.

Dimensions could help here. Looks like a mortar shell body with a tail for a spigot. Reminds much of Russian design of recoilless ammo in 82mm.
Is the tail section a rocket engine?

There was a practice version of the blacker bombard that used a 3 inch mortar,that screwed onto the normal 14lb tail ,,overall length including the mortar round 25inches

i seem to remember seeing one of these in the EOC collection at wimbish,

Attachments

• Allan's 255.jpg
    Allan's 255.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 53
It looks like a version of the 29 mm spigot mortar. I'm not certain whether it and the Blacker Bombard were one and the same. If it is a practice version of the 29 mm spigot mortar then it was a 14 Lb bomb filled with cement, overall length about 23 inches. The items in Alan's diagram show a range of 29 mm spigot mortars, like those shown in my source document. Source: DWS Notes on Ammunition, Issue 15 Section 3, printed 12/1942.

Last edited:
Pete this is the one down at Wimbish next to the normal Blacker Bombard

Attachments

• IMG_0925 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0925 - Copy.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 34