What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

identification

Hi Leonard,
It looks very much like a British WW2 era 3.7" AA projectile. Are there any markings visible stamped into the shell body or any more markings in paint ?
Best regards Weasel.

Very nice.

Yes, its a 3.7" Heavy AA projectile dated 1939. HE filled with TNT, fitted with a No. 199 time fuze.
Some of the markings are G 11 1.2 (Gaine No. 11 Mark 1, No. 2), and 8029, being the drawing number for the filling method.
Not shown, but will also have written on it "EXPR C.E." for Exploder CE (a pellet of Composition Exploding to ignite the gaine), together with the filling station monogram.

These are very hard to obtain and rare to find with original markings.

I am currently restoring a similar projectile.

Cases are obtainable for these and turn up from time-to-time.

Cheers,

Graeme

Attachments

• From handbook dated 29 May 1940.jpg
    From handbook dated 29 May 1940.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6188.jpg
    IMG_6188.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 46
I should add that it's an unfired shell, but as the fuze looks loose I presume it is no longer filled with TNT?

The fuze still has the original copper asbestos washer underneath, a nice touch.

The painted red crosses signify that it is suitable for use in tropical areas, and the green circle indicates that a smoke box is fitted - a puff of smoke on explosion as a sighting aid.

Please try to keep it in this original condition - don't strip the original paint or repaint it - it's so rare to find projectiles with this much original paint.

Last edited:
Nice projectile. Have you verified it is empty? If you have not I would be very careful and inform your local EOD.

this was given to me by one who used to be on anti aircraft guns in malta during ww2.when he gave it to me years ago he said it is safe.

Leonard,

I sent you a Personal Message about this shell. Please check your Notifications.

Regards,

Graeme