What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying Makers of Primer Protection Clips.

ron3350

The makers of primer protection clips are not identified as easily as headstamps.
Here is a selection of monograms I cannot identify. I hope someone can help me.
The last clip is my smallest and does not fit any cannon shell in my collection.
Looks like No55 or 53? 1940. Would need a rim of 39mm to clip onto.

11.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg9.jpg8.jpg7.jpg10.jpg1.jpg

Hum, should it be possible that they are coming of Netherland ? A great part of your makers stamps can have a dutch origin

Yoda

I thought that all would be British with one Canadian. I have misplaced my list of cases that fit each clip but most are 3Pr, 6Pr ,18Pr, 6Pr 10 CWT,or similar British calibres all identified by a clip No. I have no idea on the small one. I will be surprised if any are Dutch? Ron.

I thought that all would be British with one Canadian. I have misplaced my list of cases that fit each clip but most are 3Pr, 6Pr ,18Pr, 6Pr 10 CWT,or similar British calibres all identified by a clip No. I have no idea on the small one. I will be surprised if any are Dutch? Ron.

Me too, I will be surprised of it but I have no matches by British makers and almost all the stamps appear in my dutch listing

I'm waiting for other opinions

Yoda

1 - n/k - no markings
2 - MC - Ammunition Factory,Finsbury, Australia
HL - This is Australian, pheon within a D. I've a company in Sydney, but I'm tyring to decipher the manuscript.
3 - GW - not known to me - there are four possibilities for this monogram (need to do some research)
TSC - Any Canadain marks on it?
4 - MB6 - Metal Box Company, Barringer, Walls & Manners, Mansfield
BPW/R - not known to me
5 - Metal Box Company, Robinson branch.
E. Showell & Sons, Birmingham
6 - I can't make out the trade mark - yet
Scovill Manufacturing Co., USA -sub contracted by Bethlehem Steel Co. USA
7 - no apparent markings
8 - GW - as above
9 - E. Showell & Sons, Birmingham
10 - no apparent markings
11 - MP/P - not known to me
AK - not known to me

I'll look further when I've got time.

TimG

Last edited:
Tim
You are amazing and thanks for info so far.
No 7 is marked: No37 MK11 Arrow C.W.C.
No1 and 10 are front and rear views of my unknown small clip. What round does it fit?
No3 TSC is possibly not Canadian? No marks. Fits 6Pr 7CWT . I have a few of these. Keep looking for info. Thanks. Ron.

7 - CWC - C.W. Cheney & Son Ltd., Factory Road, Hockley, Birmingham - Lock makers, if you had a cheap or not so cheap briefcase when you were at school, the chances are Cheney made the lock on it.

TimG

No14 is for 3pr sub cal and 3pr 2cwt
No36 is for 6pr 6 and 7 cwt
No9 is for 13 pr and 3" how.
No37 is for 17 pr
L2A1 is for 105mm
No30 is for 2pr at gun
I don't have a listing for 33.
I am keen to acquire a no 37 to go with my 17 pdr gun if you find another, have 20 pdr clips if you would like one.

EP/C – Eureka Planter Company, Woodstock, Ontario. Canada.

HL - (might be) Hipsleys Pty Ltd., 27-45 Palmer Street, Sydney. Australia.

AK - (might be) Romwell Products Inc. Canada

TSC - (might be) Tuscon Steel Co., Ontario, Canada.

TimG

The last of my primer clip collection.
These have been identified or easily seen as RL, Vickers or Kirkee India.
The No48 is by MO Maribyrnong Ordnance, Victoria, Australia for 76mm Armoured Car.
The N RL 111 is interesting with an N for Navy.

dkkoIpGxTMOUXsXE0ysLaA_thumb_505.jpgtFN6zy6OTFyKReayWyqLvw_thumb_504.jpgrtj8DOstQUG7F8F7OmL++g_thumb_502.jpgotNcUJweQHKBnjqwjGxNgA_thumb_503.jpg

Hi Guys,

I obviously knew a bit about these primer protection clips, but never thought they were so many (and sometimes so recent). That's the beauty of our hobby, never a dull moment...

Thank you for sharing.

Frank

Thanks for the info on these clips. Could tankbarrell send a photo of his 20 Pr clip and anybody else please send in your variations of No or makers please to keep this thread on clips going. Keeps them all in one listing. Ron.

I am also trying to compile a list of the clip numbers and cases that they fit from this listing.
So far I have numbers:
5, 9,14,17,25,26,30,33,36,37,48, 53 or 55?, L2A1, 13pr is a No9, 18Pr.
Can we add to this list with cases that they fit? No 5,17 and 33 from B.Pens are new to me.

These are all I have. Some primers are package specific.
One that really springs to mind is Cart 25 Pr. When it became obvious that these were going to be used in vast quantities, in all theatres of war, Box Steel C206 was introduced which was dedicated to the commonly used cases and were packed by 8 in the box in Scored Tearoff Cylinders (STO) so there was no need for a primer clip, but Blank and other relatively little used cases required one in their packages.
This also applied to Carts 3.7" Mks 1 - 3 carts.

primer clips - 1.jpg