What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying ordnance manufactuers?

ajf.350d

After my earlier post now putting all my items in a database.
Most are post WW2.
How do I know who manufacters them? Some have headstamps but I am struggling to work out how to use them.
Are they mostly made by the same company that makes the cannon?
For example, do Oerlikon make their own rounds? For cannon like the M61 and GAU8 are the rounds made by General Electric/General Dynamics?
Bofors and Aden too?

Thank you
Andrew

Andrew,

Good questions, unfortunately the answer is complex. As you have mentioned headstamps, that is a good place to start. I will speak about U.S. manufactured items first.

Small caliber ammo, .50 cal and smaller is headstamped with a manufacturer's code and date. Usually the manufacturer loaded the round, produced the cartridge case and projectile, and could have purchased the powder and primer from another manufacturer. As the ammunition increases in size, the components are typically produced by a variety of suppliers, as no company typically owns all the expensive equipment and knowledge to make everything. Each supplier stamps their own identification codes and manufacturers dates on their specific product, and the products are stamped with a part number instead of a complete round identification. All of these components then come toether into subassemblies and assemblies at a government sponsored arsenal or commercial loading facility where the explosives can be better managed. The final assembly facility will typically add their identification codes and manufacturing date to the assembly with ink or paint. U.S. ammo manufacturers can be identified by MIL-STD-1461E If you google this, you will find multiple versions available off the web in pdf format. There is a 1980 version and a 1990 version.

Part of the problem with identifying larger ammo information, is that the component ID part numbers say what the part is, but not what it went into. A single model of cartridge case can be used to make up various rounds of ammo by changing the projectiles, powder, etc. If the ink is gone from the case, it's harder to tell what it was used for. Rounds like 40mm Bofors were used by multiple services. Cartridge cases for the Navy were stamped with a Mk. and Mod number, while Army and Air Force ammo was stamped with an M number for an identifier.

The description above can be roughly applied to other nations ammo. I'm sure our BOCN members can suggest other lists for German, UK, and other countries manufacturer's codes.

Last edited:
Janes ammunition handbook details rounds and who makes them that will give you makers then it should be possible to fill in the makers marking codes etc by deduction and research. Only problem is Janes is a triffle expensive and I not sure where you'd buy one, could try the library service before it gets shut.

Thank you both.
Hazord - I will look for the file mentioned but the post was most helpful. It seems then in many instances there is no one manufacturer as such?
I may just add a field for type of weapon the rounds are used in instead.

Must admit I am tempted to get a copy of the Janes book, but then I think that for that amount of money I could add quite a few nice items to the collection! :)
I know the local library has/had some Janes books though so might give them a go.

Andrew

Andrew,

Typical ballpark price for the Jane's books is $800.00 per book. You might look around at used military bookstores for a less expensive older copy.

Janes ammunition I was told is about 400 to get new. I heard about it a long while ago and ordered a copy through my local library, think I paid a small fee around 5 and had the book a while as I renewed the lend a couple of times. Probably now if you dont get reported as a terrorist because you are interested in ammunition you may well get charged something toward the books purchase but there was a copy in the system that may still be around.

Certain books, as most of us know are red flagged by the governments of different countries. I myself don't think the Janes to be a flagged book but there are many that are monitered. Big brother.............................Dano