What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imperial War Museum London

Finally I would just like to say thank you to the Imperial War Museum for being one of the few establishments "enlightened" enough to welcome people with camera's.
Really? I've been to quite a few UK military museums over the past few years and never seen any restrictions on taking photos at any of them. Which ones ban it?

The only rules I've noticed at a couple of places concern what you do with the photos: if you're going to make professional use of them (e.g. in a book) you have to ask permission.

Really? I've been to quite a few UK military museums over the past few years and never seen any restrictions on taking photos at any of them. Which ones ban it?

The only rules I've noticed at a couple of places concern what you do with the photos: if you're going to make professional use of them (e.g. in a book) you have to ask permission.

Just to keep this one alive as i think the IWM has jumped way up in my estimation for nice items and displays.
Admitedly they cannot display there reserve collections as there is just not enough room except for IWM Duxford.
Another good up and coming museum is the London War Museum.
It has a section called Bomb Disposal corner which shows mainly smaller personal effects and pictures.

They are a self funding museum and have a blitz street reconstruction
which is exellent,but the museum does lack a lot of bigger items.
Lastley dont forget the good old National Army museum.
just good good good.

Hear are some more pics from my IWM visit this year. Enjoy

Best phil

Attachments

• War museum 008.jpg
    War museum 008.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 47
  • War museum 014.jpg
    War museum 014.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 47
  • War museum 020.jpg
    War museum 020.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 56
  • War museum 006.jpg
    War museum 006.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 46
Dos one of you guys have a better photo of this item in the photo from Chris ?????

Thanks

Attachments

• IWM%2020.jpg
    IWM%2020.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 44
Hear are some more pics from my IWM visit this year. Enjoy

Best phil

Very nice pictures Phil, especially like the close up of the sign!!
Do you have a close up of the SD2?
Also the container to the right the AB70-3 ?

regards
Kev

SD2 Dispenser ?

Here you are gents a slightly more detailed view !

Is this an SD2 dispenser ?

If you would like the picture in full PM me !

Attachments

• SD2 Dispenser.jpg
    SD2 Dispenser.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 49
Think MB you were reading my mind!!
Or was it the other way round !! lol !!

regards Kev

Hi Kev

Unfortunately i didnt take an awfull lot of pictures but will go again and photograph the lot,as they do have some minty Bits in there especially in the bomb room,the words kid and candy store come to mind.

quite a few SD2s perched hear and there:tinysmile_shy_t:

Best phil

SD2 Dispenser ?
Here you are gents a slightly more detailed view !

Is this an SD2 dispenser ?

If you would like the picture in full PM me !

Thanks for the picture Chris.
Yes, its a AB 70-3 holds 22 SD2's. Think it is an adaption of the AB24 which held 24 bombs.
The difference being that the AB24 worked mechanically with a spring release. The AB 70-3 had a charge head which had an electrically operated system. Presumably with a delay so that it could be dropped from greater heights.
Maybe Madbomber could tell you more?
regards Kev

Hi Kev

Unfortunately i didnt take an awfull lot of pictures but will go again and photograph the lot,as they do have some minty Bits in there especially in the bomb room,the words kid and candy store come to mind.

quite a few SD2s perched hear and there:tinysmile_shy_t:

Best phil

Hi Phil,

That certainly sounds my kind of sweet shop, yummy!!!
Photos would be great, don't get the chance to get down there myself!!

Cheers Kev

Here is a selection of my pictures of the IWM German bomb showcase. Sorry I couldn't get close enough to the 50kg bomb to identify the fuze. Also I think I read somewhere that the incendiaries are copies, the real ones being a fire risk are stored somewhere safe. ...

Attachments

• IWM SD-2 b.jpg
    IWM SD-2 b.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IWM SD-2 a.jpg
    IWM SD-2 a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IWM German 50kg bomb b.jpg
    IWM German 50kg bomb b.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IWM German 50kg bomb a.jpg
    IWM German 50kg bomb a.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 48
  • IWM German bombs.jpg
    IWM German bombs.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 56
... More picture from the German bomb showcase

Attachments

• IWM Bomb rack.jpg
    IWM Bomb rack.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 61
  • IWM Bomb fuze 9.jpg
    IWM Bomb fuze 9.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IWM Bomb fuze 17A.jpg
    IWM Bomb fuze 17A.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 39
  • IWM Bomb fuze 50.jpg
    IWM Bomb fuze 50.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IWM Bomb fuze removal tool.jpg
    IWM Bomb fuze removal tool.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 48
Here is a selection of my pictures of the IWM German bomb showcase. Sorry I couldn't get close enough to the 50kg bomb to identify the fuze. Also I think I read somewhere that the incendiaries are copies, the real ones being a fire risk are stored somewhere safe. ...

Many thanks FOO31 - Great Photos!!
I notice that the 50Kg has the early type fuze rings and the AB 70-3 what can I say- thats right up my street!!! great to see.
regards
Kev

The mines are both bounding AP mines. The yellow one is the British MK2 bounding mine and the other look like the German S mine.

Michael

Ha Steve

Finally I would just like to say thank you to the Imperial War Museum for being one of the few establishments "enlightened" enough to welcome people with camera's.

Steve I wonder what happened to all the old exhibits as the first time I went some 30 (cough cough) years ago there were row upon row of cabinets in the front entrance full of Artillery and Anti-Aircraft rounds of every description, must have been 60 plus !

Lee you are sadly in the queue behind me for a spare 80 cm "Schwerer Gustav" shell - sorry old bean !:xd:
Love the pictures.Im going to open a can of worms here,I have worked at a couple of museums,just a working class,the museums I have worked in allow cameras but do not allow the flash,im sure you no its the UV light that destroys,not everything is as tuff as ordanance.
Vinny

I was in the area today, so I thought I would go to the War Museum. Unfortunately I forgot (i) they search your bags, and (ii) I had three shell cases in mine. I was refused entry. So be warned, if they find anything that resembles weaponry, even if totally harmless, you won't get in. No arguments.

No flash please!

Vinney you are spot on with the "No flash" allowed as it does degrade very old materials and some things are best left in the dark.
Art works can be very badly affected by strong lights so it is understandable, but munitions are not so delicate but natural light is always my preference when possible-just leads to grainier or blurred photo's when in poor light conditions unless you have a tripod (now there's another story!).

Its definitely a good museum and worth a visit....I was there in 2008 and took quite a few pics....ill start off with some of the vehicles.

Ill also put these plus others in my gallery..

German Jagdpanther
JagdPanther-1024.jpg

British Matilda II
Matilda II-1024.jpg

British Grant
Grant-1024.jpg

Russian T34-85
T34-1024.jpg

British 25Pdr
25Pdr-1024.jpg

More to come
Rich