What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improvisation???

EODGUY

I apologize for the quality of the picture, but it came from a book. I have never seen the use of two MkII grenades on a 2.36-inch rocket motor before. Anyone have any information on this item? Somewhat random fuzing to say the least. I'd also think it would be a little nose heavy.

Attachments

• 2.36 inch grenades.jpg
    2.36 inch grenades.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 221
Bob,

I think this one was officially tested and trialed, though I've never seen a report on it. But there was a nice example in the collection at Picatinny that probably served as the pattern for lots of copies in collectors hands. The Picatinny Museum sample is the only one I've seen that I felt was substantially original and not someone's "put-together".

Rick

it was designed to fight in the German hedgerows 90,000 were produced at Picatinny but never put in full time action since the close combat of the hedgerows was over

Thanks for the information. I had no idea. I have been in the Picatinny many times over the years and in their storeroom warehouse, but do not recall seeing one of these. Now that the museum has closed I wonder if it made it to Aberdeen and if it will now make it to Ft. Lee in their move.

Some guy sold one on ebay on the 28th
I throught he had his head up his ass
I've been through every rocket FM I have and the closest thing I found was an
Impact fragmentation rifle grenade M17 (formerly the T2)
But if there's a picture in a book somewhere there has got to be some info out there too.
Check out the link before it goes away

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-rare-2-36...017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5904cd91

Must be you pull the pin, hold down the spoon, and stuff it in the tube set the ground clip and let her rip (sounds labor intensive to me)
I would think the ring between the two grenades would act as a bore rider 2.36"
Hmmmm might be a nice project to replicate

Last edited:
In indexing my thousands of engineering drawings on ordnance I found a drawing of the grenade warhead on the 2.36 inch motor. Unfortunately the drawing is so bad that it is impossible to reproduce it. There is no T number on the drawing either. At least I found something that validates the photograph as something that was official enough in development that they made an engineering drawing of it.

Ordman

A friend sent me that link just before the auction closed. The consesnsus was that the pictured item was a one piece casting(the grenades, anyway) and was nothing more than a novelty. I had never seen one, but two of the others in the "loop" recalled its existence. Am betting the majority of them were dumped in the ocean as things progressed.

Rick

They used to have one at the museum at Picatinny Arsenal. While I suspect it is a relatively easy piece to fake, that was original. It seems as though I also ran across a photo of one in my hunts at the US National Archive, but that could take some time to find. I will look this evening and see if I can find the Picatinny photo. I'm pretty sure that I don't have a reference though - I've never seen it in a manual.

I have dug through the Aberdeen Museum over the last 3 years and seen almost all of their ordnance, if they still have it I'm not sure where. I didn't see it. I will look through my stuff as well as see what I can dig up, maybe we did catalog it and I missed it.

Joe

Home of about 90% of US ground ordnance history and development prior to around 1960. Both kept historical ordnance museums which were outstanding and had incredible pieces, both from US development and exploited items from overseas. Aberdeen was looted in the 1980s and lost the bulk of its items, Picatinny closed in the late 90s. Some of the Picatinny items may have been lost, most were later taken over by Aberdeen, though cataloging continues.

Here are some random shots from Picatinny's shelves/storage area - not the greatest quality, taken from scans of the photos rather than from the negs to save time. This gives just a tiny example of the scope and rarity of the collection, WWI to the 70s, projos, fuzes, subs, mines, grenades, bombs - it was incredible.

Attachments

• Untitled-1a.jpg
    Untitled-1a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Untitled-1b.jpg
    Untitled-1b.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Untitled-1c.jpg
    Untitled-1c.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Untitled-2a.jpg
    Untitled-2a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Untitled-2c.jpg
    Untitled-2c.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 30
Oh, and rockets too.

Attachments

• Untitled-2b.jpg
    Untitled-2b.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 39
Home of about 90% of US ground ordnance history and development prior to around 1960. Both kept historical ordnance museums which were outstanding and had incredible pieces, both from US development and exploited items from overseas. Aberdeen was looted in the 1980s and lost the bulk of its items, Picatinny closed in the late 90s. Some of the Picatinny items may have been lost, most were later taken over by Aberdeen, though cataloging continues.

What does it means? A robbery?