What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incendiary Bomb Fuzes

waffenamt

Steel Tile-breakers for the german B1 incendiary bombs.

They were in poor condition when bought so after a quick trip to the polishing shop,here we have some nice examples.

2 x AZ13 and what is a mysterious one??

Markings are AZ H (circled) A 70,and an odd little swirl cut into the metal.

over to you boys for thoughts please. :)

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7006650.jpg
    S7006650.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 67
  • S7006651.jpg
    S7006651.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 66
  • S7006652.jpg
    S7006652.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 64
  • S7006653.jpg
    S7006653.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 71
  • S7006654.jpg
    S7006654.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 74
  • S7006655.jpg
    S7006655.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 60
Hi Waff,

They look like they have come up very nice.
I suspect the 70 marking on the odd one is simply a batch number, (though I could be wrong) . Looking at one of your photos you can make out the 13 in a circle before the A as in the others, maybe the 70 was just stamped a little deeper??

regards Kev

Cheers Kev,i shall have another goosey at it in daylight tomorrow.
I swear it looks like a capital 'H' even under scrutiny right now! Where is that bloody spyglass when i need it?? :p

cheers

waff

Hi waff,

Try taking another photo with your digital camera at an angle (as in photo 4) and then use the computer to blow the image up. It is a great tool to see detail in markings etc.

I wrote the reply and have now re-read your post about the H, however I think it is still a 13, if you look in photo 4 I think you can see a curve to the bottom of the right hand stick of what you think is a H, or as I suspect a 3 ???
Certainly would be different if it were a H, as I have never heard of letters being used in circles.......mmm, will wait while you have another look at it!!!

regards Kev

p.s. I think the swirl may have been made by the tool used for unscrewing it, slipping. My example of the normal Incendiary has a much worse, but similar swirl, where someone has damaged it by the same means. I would be interested to see if others think this is likely??

Im leaning towards your '13' theory Kev the more i look at it.
Cant find that soddin' spyglass anywhere though to confirm.

best

waff

Hi Waff,

Here is a photo of the tile breaker fuze from my collection, so you can see the markings on this one.

Also a photograph of the damage on the incendiary bomb nose (as previously mentioned). Looks like the damage was caused by a removal tool slipping. - not sure if the damage caused to yours was done in similar circumstances, or as someone suggested by bad lathe work. I will let you decide - I think my example is pretty self-explanitary!!

(All items shown are FFE and totally inert.)

regards Kev

HPIM6284.jpgHPIM6285.jpg

Great pics Kev!

Looks like that swirl was done a long time ago judging by how the metal has oxidised again.
Thanks for showing them :)
Also mentioned in the other thread that i think you are correct on the '13' instead of an 'H'.
best

waff