What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

incendiary device

Nabob

Ordnance approved
Hi,
I am looking for ID and possibly other info on this item.
It was recovered by Czech Police EOD. It is a incendiary B1 bomblet with pull-friction fuze.
What was it used for? EOD tool? Destruction of crashlanded aircraft on the ground? Sabotage?

Thanks for the answers, Bob

Attachments

• 254_6.jpg
    254_6.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 254_11.jpg
    254_11.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 254_3.jpg
    254_3.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 88
  • 254_7.jpg
    254_7.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 254_8.jpg
    254_8.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 70
Hi Nabob
I have seen similar made out of recycled British Incendiary bombs, recovered from Germany. I believe they were used for sabotage. Diagram taken from the excellent book : "The Last Nazis" SS Werewolf resistance in Europe 1944 -1947 by Perry Biddiscombe. Note the author of the drawing. Hope this helps.
20200202_213616.jpg
Cheers
Switch

Hallo,
that the "Kriminaltechnische Institut" worked closely together with the "Werewolf" organisation is a personal idea of the author and is absolutely not true. The "Institute" is the technical laboratory of the police, you call it a forensic institute. This type of friction fuzed Thermite bombs was used mostly in demonstrations and training of civil defence personnel and the public. There are many reports and even many photos of these civil defence demonstrations. I imagine, that in England similar demonstrations were made for civil-defence personnel, firefighters a.s.o.
Bellifortis.

Hi Bellifortis
Thank you for your guidance - makes perfect sense. I know that we did have in England various devices for training Civil Defense personel, so no surprise that the Germans did too.
Cheers
Switch

I'm pretty sure I posted pictures of these several years ago, but I don't remember under what thread. They were observed in the holding bunker at Jessenitz, in Germany, and they had a number of them at the time.

Hi @MINENAZ16,
I have seen mentioning of the "Brandstab" before, but I do not remember where. As far as I remember it was used for the destruction of documents and other stuff. I checked the german Luftwaffe TM "D.(Luft)4601" dated 1940 "Vernichtungsmittel von Landflugzeugen" (Destructors of land-aircraft) There is no mentioning of the "Brandstab" for aircraft destruction. If anybody here knows about any german TM describing the "Brandstab" I would be happy to know the title. Most probably this will be an Army development and not Air-Force or Navy.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

I have found the same document @MINENAZ16 posted. It's from the 60s-70s. At that time german EOD was working with nearly only allied documentation, especially US. As the document describes, the "Brandstab" was identical to the 1kg B1 incendiary bomb. Note the conical, normally aft section of the B1. This document, from allied sources, also says, that the "Brandstab" was used for aircraft destruction. But, I can not find any german documentation for this use. For civil-defence demonstrations british and US bombs were used, if available. If not, the "Brandstab" could be used for the same effect, which was much more safe than using the originally fuzed bombs.

Attachments

• Brandstab 001.jpg
    Brandstab 001.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: