What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incendiary

GrayB

Hi,new to this forum. A question for you learned fellows out there. I have from what I ascertained a German Incendiary bomb. What i'd like to know is it safe? A lady passed this onto me from her husband who was a fire warden in London during the blitz and he had it on his mantlepiece since then . I presume he would have made it safe but I'd like to make sure. Could you guys help.

Attachments

• garden dig.JPG
    garden dig.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 110
Hi
what you have there is a standard B1 incendairy.
you need to see whether the bottom unscrews or if it rattles a lot from the inside when shaken.

normally would have been emptied at the time but always best to check,as the base of the bomb should
unscrew,which is the fuse section.

If you can't get the fuze unscrewed, stick a long piece of flexible plastic (like a zip-tie) through one of the holes and try to work its way inside through to the tail end. This will confirm if it is empty inside.

If you are not sure that it is live or not, call up the police.
Don't play with it.
Never forget that it was made to kill or wound !

Yoda

If you are not sure that it is live or not, call up the police.
Don't play with it.
Never forget that it was made to kill or wound !

Yoda

As Yoda says if your not sure dont go poking and prodding it call the police

Agree, tread carefully but de activating these was common place during the war, so no reason why it was not done, I met a chap that use to defuse them on a Sunday afternoon with his dad! if it doesn't unscrew doesn't really tell you much, a lot of my deactivated ones do not unscrew as they were defused 70 odd years ago, with a lot of work they can be made to unscrew but often the soft casing gets damaged, the rattling is good indication that the igniter is still in place which may be cause for alarm. I am guessing the EOD will just remove it and blow it up regardless to be on the safe side if you report it. You also must keep it away from naked flames as the mag alloy body is flammable but the same can be said for a bottle of vodka! Remember - "Keep calm and carry on". Coming from an ex fireman I doubt very much he would have had something on his mantle piece that was likely to start a fire.

"Coming from an ex fireman I doubt very much he would have had something on his mantle piece that was likely to start a fire."

There's a member of this forum who can testify as to having found a live incendiary bomb amongst the collection of the the London Fire Brigade HQ in Southwark

TimG

"Coming from an ex fireman I doubt very much he would have had something on his mantle piece that was likely to start a fire."

There's a member of this forum who can testify as to having found a live incendiary bomb amongst the collection of the the London Fire Brigade HQ in Southwark

TimG
Oooooooppss

Hello GrayB or is it Graybenham which ever name it is you are the same person who posted this incendiary on WWIIReenacting.co.uk on september the 7th 2012 with a completely different story as to how it was found,
for those members who are members of this site heres a link http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77340&hilit=Incendiary&start=0
and for those of you who are not see the attached screenshots from the other site
your words..."Digging in my back garden and found this about 2 feet down in LOndon Clay. I've cleaned it up but dont know what it is. I cant see any markings on it."
your words ..."I have removed the said 'thing 'to end of the garden and the constabulary have been called. Geez, thanks for your help guys. I'll keep ya posted!"
I do not appreciate your joining this site and LYING to the other members on how this incendiary was found and im sure the other members who have taken time to respond to your post will not appreciate it either .
The members here are a good solid bunch who take the time to look out for each other and i will not tolerate lying to them.
As such i do not want you to be part of this forum and im sure the other members will agree with me that your membership is now terminated resulting in a permanent BAN from BOCN

Attachments

• liar.jpg
    liar.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Well done spotter.

regards,

chris

Hi Chris
thanks but i cant take the credit for finding this ,i was tipped off by one of our other members to the post on the other site for which im very grateful ,
all i did was decide to take action against them and get rid of them we dont need nor want people like this on here and most of all you guys dont deserve getting messed about.